Tripod help please?

ChrisJuliano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I am in market for new tripod, at first I am like, "Its just a tripod, I can get off easy for $15 at radioshack", but after buying one that was pretty much what I wanted, I put it together in car and it was extremely cheap and crappy.

So spent 4 hours looking around a town looking for a tripod, so decided, I will just order one online.

So here I am, since I cant see them and see quality, I need TPF's help.

Heres what I REQUIRE:
Price range up to $40
Quality must be good.
Tilting top so I can take horizontal and vertical pics (I guess thats what you call it)
Folds up small, under 14 inches.
Carry case included.
Extended = 40 inches +

Thanks, I appreciate help greatly.

Not really for 30 bucks with a dslr. You want to put a 500 dollar investment on a 30 dollar tripod? The only way you MIGHT be able to get away with that much, is to go on ebay, and get a REALLY old tripod, it will be sturdy, but It will be HEAVY. Probably 10-20 pounds. To get a decent tripod, the low end of the spectrum would probably be about 100 bucks.

Ok, I was doing some looking on bh, and for 30 bucks, most of them dont even list load capacity, and the ones that do is about 6 pounds. And it extends to about 4 feet. Basically, there is an old addage that comes to tripods. Cheap, Light, Sturdy, pick two.

Well, the ones I was looking into didnt look to bad.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...151&langId=-1&productId=11033242&tab=Features

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p44954-vanguard-19-tabletop-tripod-3-way-panhead.html

But if those suck, can you guys list 5 of the best ones I could get that meet my requirements and are under $75?

Heres what I REQUIRE:
Price range up to $40
Quality must be good.
Tilting top so I can take horizontal and vertical pics (I guess thats what you call it)
Carry case included.
Extended = 40 inches +

Heres what I REQUIRE:
Price range up to $40
Quality must be good.
Carry case included.
Extended = 40 inches +

I read the list just fine the first time, no need to copy and paste it again. However, on the product pages that YOU LINKED TO one tripod you listed extends to only 20", and the other 39"....

And also neither say the load capacity. I think you would be lucky to hold your dslr stable on those, let alone if you get some heavier lenses. Were not trying to be mean by telling you a 40 $$ tripod is crap, were trying to stop you from buying crap.

Basically same advice, dont put heavy lenses on it and careful in high wind situations. To put a bit of perspective, the d40 weighs just over a pound without lens and battery. The tripod holds 4.5 pounds. The kit lens weighs a bout half a pound. Thats 1.5 pounds with a lightweight lens. It should be ok, just dont put ant 17-55's or 70-200 or 80-200 any maybe some long primes.

I understand, but seeing as max I want to spend is $60 I guess I will have to buy the best crap I can.
For $60 bucks, you have already used the operative word.

You don't mention your gear, only how much you want to spend. Go ahead, spend $40-60 bucks for a tripod. Next month when you start a new thread on your next tripod quest, we can offer some substantive suggestions for you.

[EDIT] Just noticed your signature.................. suggestion hasn't changed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back