Tripod help

WB8588

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need help choosing a tripod. New or used doesnt matter to me. And a budget of $350 MAX. Mainly for use with a mamiya rb67. But occasionly to use with my Minolta srt303 and a Nikon d3200. Something sturdy and able to stay sturdy with the camera high or as low ton the ground as possible. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Look in the used market. I got a nice heavy Bogen + head for $60 via Craigs List.
Here are some brands that come to my head, to look for.
  • Tiltal
  • Bogen, many different models, so you have to look for the heavy tripods.
High and low are two very different requirements that few tripods will do, and even fewer do well.
Some can splay the legs out wide, to go low. But the splaying out of the legs then becomes an issue.
Some can flip the center column over. But then the camera is upside down, which won't work for the RB67 with a WLF. And I am not sure if those flip tripods can support a RB67.

Is this for studio or portable?
And if portable, how far do you have to carry it?

Personally, I would get 3 or 4 tripods, #1 for high (RB67), #2 for high (SRT303 & D3200), #3 for low (RB67), #4 low for (SRT303 & D3200)
The problem is the bulk and weight of the RB67 calls for a HEAVY tripod. And a heavy tripod is, heavy to carry.
You can do #2 with tripod #1. But tripod #1 is goina be heavy to carry.
After only one outing with my heavy Bogen tripod, I switched to a medium weight tripod for my dSLR. The heavy tripod was just too much weight to carry, in addition to my camera kit. It has been relegated to studio, within 100 feet of the car, or where it can be transported on a wheeled cart. And its use has been reduced to my large format (4x5) camera. Everything else is on a medium tripod.

Low tripods are another world.
How low do you want to go, what tripod features do you want, and what can you give up?
Some of the really low tripods, have little/no vertical adjustments.
I would not trust many of the low tripods to support the RB67.

It would be useful to know what kind of lens your tripod (of the future) will need to support. I find the lens a bigger issue than the body (b/c a long heavy lens will challenge most heads in terms of stability).

Also, my recommendation would be to get thee to a camera store and try out a few. And yes, bring one of your bodies. Getting "low" is so open to interpretation. Does that mean you want a tripod that the legs extend so they're parallel to the ground? Or a center column that comes out and now goes down between the legs?

FWIW, I'm a Manfrotto man. I've got two tripods (one that is for travel and will fold up and fit in carry-on luggage, the other that is heavier and more often used for studio, product, or macro photography because it gets very low and the center column comes out and can be inserted from the bottom. I had a previous one (that I lost when it developed "legs" at a shoot and a spectator at the C&O Canal walked off with it). I've been happy with all 3.

It will be used MOSTLY for portraits and landscapes. I use my cameras to take pictures (sometimes i get paid to shoot other people. Not often though.) of my family and of places i visit. So as long as the tripod can stay steady while im on a knee and no higher than about 6 and a half feet from the ground.

The longest i will go is my 180mm soft focus lens on my RB.
It would be useful to know what kind of lens your tripod (of the future) will need to support. I find the lens a bigger issue than the body (b/c a long heavy lens will challenge most heads in terms of stability).

Also, my recommendation would be to get thee to a camera store and try out a few. And yes, bring one of your bodies. Getting "low" is so open to interpretation. Does that mean you want a tripod that the legs extend so they're parallel to the ground? Or a center column that comes out and now goes down between the legs?

FWIW, I'm a Manfrotto man. I've got two tripods (one that is for travel and will fold up and fit in carry-on luggage, the other that is heavier and more often used for studio, product, or macro photography because it gets very low and the center column comes out and can be inserted from the bottom. I had a previous one (that I lost when it developed "legs" at a shoot and a spectator at the C&O Canal walked off with it). I've been happy with all 3.

I have ended up with three...long story, but with your budget you might want to get two. My favorite is the Manfrotto. It is a tank, very heavy and bulky so I only take it when traveling by car. I would not hike with it. I have two others that are much lighter. One is at a lake house so I always have one when there and the other I use when traveling by air or hiking. Both of these are much cheaper and I forget the brand. Of course you could spend your entire budget on one that is both lightweight and durable. Unfortunately I don't have one of those but others I am sure do.

After you get it why don't you post you thoughts here.

I looked carefully at the used market and had a few 'leads' on solid used tripods- but eventually succumbed to the siren song of 'pretty new toy'. Not the wisest financial choice- but it's a hobby, so I just splurged.

Ordered this today on Amazon prime: Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BHQ2 Aluminum 3-Section Tripod with XPRO Ball Head and 200PL QR Plate and two ZAYKiR RC2 Quick Release Plates. Google it.

It goes as low as 4 inches (nice for macro, nature shots), and as high has 66 inches (I really hate squatting to see thru the viewfinder!). Got the ball head because I've never had one, and I wanted to see how I got along with it. I'll switch to either a tilt/pan head and/or a gimbal later, if needed. You can also put the center bar horizontal for product shots and the like. It' not a 'travel' tripod, but it looks nice and stable.

Can't say (yet) how I like it, but it was 299.00 with two extra quick-release plates included.

"...able to stay sturdy with the camera high or as low ton the ground as possible."

I have a 30 year-old Bogen-branded version of this. This tripod goes LOW. Low-low. and is ultra-stable at low,low positions. it has automatic height adjustment, and can be raised or lowered, leveled, and locked in about three to five seconds. This was called the 058B for some time, but has a new name, Triaut (tri-auto??)This is the fastest setup tripod ever. Look for a used copy,and save big! Black Aluminum Triaut Camera Tripod w/ Spiked Feet

See it in action:

Start watching at 2:30.

I need help choosing a tripod. New or used doesnt matter to me. And a budget of $350 MAX.
If you are o.k. with a used tripod, you can save the first 75% of the cost of new. (approximately)

Some years ago I bought a set of Gitzo legs that, while heavy, will hold my weight. I use another brand of ball head because I have it, and don't need a Gitzo head just now. I seem to recall that I paid around $250 for the set (with no head).

I have three tripods and heads, each of a different category, and each for a different type of use. My heavy unit pretty much stays in the house. My intermediate set is one that I sometimes take out, and my lightweight unit is one that fits inside one gadget bag, so I can carry it wherever and it is usually with me to use in a pinch.

Some lows are reversible, meaning that the head attaches to the bottom end of the central tube. Don't forget to consider the extended height, particularly if you are tall. Bending over to peer through the viewfinder can become rather tiring after a few hours.

It is often said that tripods come with three main qualities; sturdy, lightweight, and inexpensive. You may choose only two of those. With your stated budget, I recommend that you shop for a used good quality tripod with the type of head you want. (ball or pan) No sense in getting the wrong head and then not having enough money to get the one you really wanted.

You should be able to find a really good used tripod in your budget. Take your time, shop around, and pay attention to the condition of the available choices.

If you work down to two or three choices, post a link on here to get another opinion.

I need help choosing a tripod. New or used doesnt matter to me. And a budget of $350 MAX.
If you are o.k. with a used tripod, you can save the first 75% of the cost of new. (approximately)

Some years ago I bought a set of Gitzo legs that, while heavy, will hold my weight. I use another brand of ball head because I have it, and don't need a Gitzo head just now. I seem to recall that I paid around $250 for the set (with no head).

I have three tripods and heads, each of a different category, and each for a different type of use. My heavy unit pretty much stays in the house. My intermediate set is one that I sometimes take out, and my lightweight unit is one that fits inside one gadget bag, so I can carry it wherever and it is usually with me to use in a pinch.

Some lows are reversible, meaning that the head attaches to the bottom end of the central tube. Don't forget to consider the extended height, particularly if you are tall. Bending over to peer through the viewfinder can become rather tiring after a few hours.

It is often said that tripods come with three main qualities; sturdy, lightweight, and inexpensive. You may choose only two of those. With your stated budget, I recommend that you shop for a used good quality tripod with the type of head you want. (ball or pan) No sense in getting the wrong head and then not having enough money to get the one you really wanted.

You should be able to find a really good used tripod in your budget. Take your time, shop around, and pay attention to the condition of the available choices.

If you work down to two or three choices, post a link on here to get another opinion.
Will do! Really appreciate the help

Does anyone know anything about Miller tripods? Can pick up a carbon one cheap, just wondering if they are rated well?

Most reactions

Back