What do you guys think?

WB8588

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I asked for some help choosing a tripod for my mamiya rb67 and i have been looking online for a solid used one. The largest lens that will be used is a 150mm soft focus lens. Do you guys think of this one? Will be used for portraits and landscapes

Profesional Tripod - Tiltall 4602 with Bogen/Manfrotto #3025 Head

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Junk. Ancient tripod and pretty much useless tiny Manfrotto 3-way head. Look for a used Manfrotto 055 leg set—strong seller for years. Get a 3-way head with handles, preferably a Manfrotto with a big hex-shaped QR plate.Ball heads are a PITA to adjust with an RB. You really don’t need a girder-like tripod for the RBs since the rotating back keeps the bulk of the body+lens mass centered.

Junk. Ancient tripod and pretty much useless tiny Manfrotto 3-way head. Look for a used Manfrotto 055 leg set—strong seller for years. Get a 3-way head with handles, preferably a Manfrotto with a big hex-shaped QR plate.Ball heads are a PITA to adjust with an RB. You really don’t need a girder-like tripod for the RBs since the rotating back keeps the bulk of the body+lens mass centered.
HEAD: Bogen/Manfrotto 3047 Head Tripod Head

LEGS: Manfrotto 055XDB 24-70.1

What about this? From reviews i've been reading, it seems like it'll get the job done but im no expert... And its still in my $350 budget.

I've used the 055 with my RB with no issues. The head will probably work just fine for you, but I prefer a geared head for anything larger than a DSLR.

As Ian mentioned ... it is not junk.
I had used an old Tiltall like that using the standard tilt head with a 4x5 Cambo SC ... it is a pretty solid tripod.

The Manfrotto pair you linked would also do fine.

The Manfrotto listings look fine. What’s nice about Manfrotto is how nearly all their head and leg sets fit together. I’ve compulsively accumulated 3 leg sets and 5 heads—horses for courses is my sorry-a$$ justification. Still, old Tiltalls are kinda sorry and probably qualify more as “mid-century” decor than useful gear in 2019. You’ll enjoy those big 6x7 negatives.

This is an older thread and the subject of the thread is already completed.

But I wanted to chime in on this for a moment.

I have a Tiltall that is literally older than me and its a first class tripod with a pretty solid stance.
There is little movement in it and my more modern (10 year old Manfrotto) isn't as stable.

But I am not out to either make that specific point or slam anyone.

Its more to the point that a solid older tripod is something I wouldn't pass on especially for something like an RB or RZ because the tripods were specifically designed to be used with those very cameras!

Remember, the Tiltall was designed (if I remember correctly ) around the 1940's when cameras like medium and large formats were wood and metal behemoths! Those tripods were designed specifically to be used with large heavy cameras in the field and take the abuse.

Keep them in good shape and they are defiantly worth their weight!

This is an older thread and the subject of the thread is already completed.

But I wanted to chime in on this for a moment.

I have a Tiltall that is literally older than me and its a first class tripod with a pretty solid stance.
There is little movement in it and my more modern (10 year old Manfrotto) isn't as stable.

But I am not out to either make that specific point or slam anyone.

Its more to the point that a solid older tripod is something I wouldn't pass on especially for something like an RB or RZ because the tripods were specifically designed to be used with those very cameras!

Remember, the Tiltall was designed (if I remember correctly ) around the 1940's when cameras like medium and large formats were wood and metal behemoths! Those tripods were designed specifically to be used with large heavy cameras in the field and take the abuse.

Keep them in good shape and they are defiantly worth their weight!
That was my thinking but it is my first tripod so i listened to my fellow peers and passed. :/ oh well

Most reactions

Back