Tripod ideal for landscape photography?

Alter_Ego

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Would anyone recommend a tripod ideal for landscape?
Im working with a canon 5d mk iii and will be shooting mainly with a 24mm.
Shooting in tropical terrain.

That will mean different things to different people. In other words there is no one 'ideal' tripod for doing landscape.

I think your budget would determine a lot as well.

Sorry forgot to include a budget that will help.

Looking to spend less then $250 on the tripod.'

Just looking for a tripod to do mainly sunset shots whether on the sand or rocks by the beach.

Well, I'm in love with the Manfrotto 055xprob. Prices vary from 150 ish to 190 ish or so. So it's in your range. I'm sure there may be others or better, but this one I have used personally and I love it. Easy to use, sturdy, and the center pole comes up and over to horizontal, allowing you to get really low when needed. Legs extend upward so you can get on rocks and uneven terrain. Just a good overall pod that I have not heard any complaints about, and that I personally have used.

I have also used the Manfrotto 190xdb, and was going to buy that one until I got a great deal on the above mentioned. There is one for sale for 80 bucks here on tpf, so that's a good deal. Not sure about weight of the 5d Mark III, but the seller can help you out or google it for capacity.

Maybe others will chime in with their thoughts in that price range. I'm just speaking from ones I have personally used.

That will mean different things to different people. In other words there is no one 'ideal' tripod for doing landscape.

If there were such a beast as a 'perfect' or 'ideal' tripod (or camera or lens or filter or whatever), it would be the only one on the market.

$250 for just the tripod, or is that for the tripod and the head?

It's often said about tripods, that there are three main aspects...

1. Light weight
2. Strong & Sturdy
3. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg

The catch is that you only get to choose any two aspects.

Well, I'm in love with the Manfrotto 055xprob. Prices vary from 150 ish to 190 ish or so. So it's in your range. I'm sure there may be others or better, but this one I have used personally and I love it. Easy to use, sturdy, and the center pole comes up and over to horizontal, allowing you to get really low when needed. Legs extend upward so you can get on rocks and uneven terrain. Just a good overall pod that I have not heard any complaints about, and that I personally have used.

I have also used the Manfrotto 190xdb, and was going to buy that one until I got a great deal on the above mentioned. There is one for sale for 80 bucks here on tpf, so that's a good deal. Not sure about weight of the 5d Mark III, but the seller can help you out or google it for capacity.

Maybe others will chime in with their thoughts in that price range. I'm just speaking from ones I have personally used.

this one sounds perfect! Any other opinions?

Baaah!!! So much arrogant money-wasting bull****...!! I'm so angry when people can only think in hundreds of $s...!

I have $25 worth old tripod and it works with everything. You just need to learn how to use it! That's it, period.

A tripod is good enough the moment it has 3 extendable legs and holds your camera for you.

$250 for just the tripod, or is that for the tripod and the head?

It's often said about tripods, that there are three main aspects...

1. Light weight
2. Strong & Sturdy
3. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg

The catch is that you only get to choose any two aspects.

Tripod and head.
2 & 3 in that case.

Baaah!!! So much arrogant money-wasting bull****...!! I'm so angry when people can only think in hundreds of $s...!

I have $25 worth old tripod and it works with everything. You just need to learn how to use it! That's it, period.

A tripod is good enough the moment it has 3 extendable legs and holds your camera for you.
Uh-hu.

I too have such a tripod.

Its a pain to use.

I have no ballhead, making positioning the camera quite complicated. I cant open it quickly. I cant get much height. It cant get it even on even ground. I cant use it with my DSLR because its too heavy for it.

So yeah, I rather would get something thats more powerful.

P.s.: FYI, the OP has a Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Thats a camera worth ~3,500$. Your 25$ tripod would collapse under it.

If you want head and legs for that price, that changes everything.

I have the manfrotto 222 joystick head, retails about 120 bucks - ish.

Prices will vary, being old or new, so just look around.

You have a nice camera and you dont want crap under it.

When chosing a head, think of it in terms of buying for the future, not the present. Same with legs. That way your purchase will last you. Think about how many things you want to adjust on your head to move it, the more you have to move, the more of a pain in the azz it will be.

The joystick head is great. Nothing to get in your way, and it locks in place with no wiggle at all. I have a regular customer that comes in and she uses a 60D...which isn't very heavy, but she has a canon 100-400mm lens on it for her wildlife shoots. If you have held that lens....it's heavy. She uses that same head and locks each time...no movement, even with that heavy lens.

If your old tripod was $25 when new, in today's dollars that $25 may now be equivelent to $250.

Well then why use a DSLR camera? We might as well just use our camera phones for everything...except those are hundreds of $ as well. Might as well use disposable cameras. :roll:

I think a better question to ask about wasting money, is why would people spends thousands on high quality lenses, but then not use a good stable support...letting motion blur rob them of the sharpness they thought they were paying for with the lens?
Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back