tripod questions

invncblsonic143

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i understand you get what you oay for but i need a decent tripod for a decent price any sugestions? There are an infinate amont of options on ebay that range from 10$-75$.......are any of them suitable for a beginner? And what is a good hight for someone thats about 5'10"?

I'm pretty sure that any tripod you get for $75, or $100 or whatever, you will eventually find was a waste of $75. The whole job of a tripod is to hold the camera steady, and a great many tripods on the market can't even do this, they just hold the camera. How robust a tripod you need depends on the weight of what you want to support with it, so if you're just shooting a rebel with a 50, you'll need much less tripod than a 1D with a 300. If you're willing to sacrifice weight and finer ergonomic design, there are definitely options available that will be sturdy, and still cheaper than some of the models built to be sturdy as well as portable / adaptable / etc... I don't have any experience with specific models, someone else can chime in there, but when you research, look for stability above all else. If you want to save money, then don't pay for extra features, but make sure you still get something rock solid, or you won't be satisfied.

spring for the manfrotto or just buy a cheap piece until you realize you should have just bought the manfrotto.

spring for the manfrotto or just buy a cheap piece until you realize you should have just bought the manfrotto.

+1

I just got my Manfrotto 055xb last week and can't believe I waited this long, its really great quality, and once you look at it you can tell its leaps and bounds better than any 50-75 tripod you'll get.

I used a $50 Sunpak from Bestbuy when I first started, and it worked great for what I paid for it.

The reasons I upgraded are:

1) I needed a higher weight limit
2) The pan head was a pain in the @ass so I got a ball head.
3) The set up wasn't as smooth or fast as it is with my new tripod
4) The new tripod has an independent center column.
5) My new tripod is able to have the legs splayed so that you can set the camera inches off of the ground, which is great when using a long lens, lying on your stomach waiting for some birds to show up, or when doing macro.

I use the Vanguard Alta Pro 263 which is $150 and then I added a Vanguard SB-50 Ballhead to it. Total cost was about $200.

At least it's really great quality to anyone that hasn't used a better tripod, both in the Manfrotto line, and other makes. Personally I think Giottos spanks Manfrotto for quality, features, and value, but there are tripods even better than that. A top quality tripod or head runs $500, and up.

There are some good deals out there on used tripods, be it on eBay or elsewhere.

The key features to look for to maximize your dollar are:
  • Aluminum construction (not carbon fibre)
  • 3 leg sections (not 4 leg sections)
  • 32 mm leg diameter.
  • weight hook
  • bubble level
  • 54 " to 55" height without the center column raised (I'm 5' 10" too)
  • A rated weight capacity at least 2 times your antisipated heaviest camera lens combo, but 3 times is better so you can hang weight from the weight hook when it's windy.
Happy shopping!

Last edited:
I recently picked up these legs and this head and have been very pleased.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Tripods? Yawn...how utterly stiff and confining (that's me trying to be a snob)...I have an old heavy manfrotto with a bogen head...

Manfrotto 055xPROB ftw! That goes high, higher than me (and I'm 6f4.5) and low, so low you're lens will touch the ground. It's sturdy, at least with my current gear. Legs go off in all directions. I haven't owned it for a long time, but I've used it in many different environments: parts in river, up against rocks, really unlevel terrain, low toward the water, high up. of course, the higher you set it to, the more unstable it will get.

Spend enough on the head. Having sturdy legs won't do a knight good if he can't hold the sword.

****I'm glad i used the forum search tool before posting yet another "tripod advice" thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back