Tripod recommendation

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So today i was in the garden trying to get some macro photos of flowers and i had my 70-200 + 11-16 both connected to my dslr on my tripod. Halfway into my sesion i noticed my camera sagging and slowly falling down, i ofcourse jumped to save my gear from falling down, seems that my affordable tripod finally broke down under the weight of my gear but i managed to save all my lenses and camera from any damage. Now i'm in the market for a very durable tripod, can you recommend a reliable tripod?

Start out by the total weight that you need a tripod and head to support.
This will limit you to which tripods and heads you should be looking at

no sense in getting another tripod that isn't in the range of weight that you want it to support.

you might have a good tripod, but a cheap head.
So .. what are you currently using. and the total weight that is needed to support.

The weight was well within the recommended limit. I just don't trust this tripod anymore with my gear. The minimum weight my new tripod needs to hold is 5kg or 11lbs.

Since you didn't provide a budget I'd say Really Right Stuff. Figure about $2,000 US for a set of legs and head assembly. You won't have that problem again.

If that's out of reality try Manfrotto, Bogen, Gitzo, etc. Short cut shopping tip: If it includes a head assembly then look at something else.

I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 808RC4 3-way head. The load rating on the tripod is 15.43 pounds, and I often use it with my Mamiya RZ67 with the 75mm tilt lens and prism finder (which approaches the weight limit). It feels rock solid, and I have never worried about stability.

Do you know enough about tripods to narrow down some basic characteristics?

* Indoor (studio) vs. outdoor use
* Flip vs. twist-lock legs
* 3- or 4-section legs
* Positionable center column (horizontal)
* Weight
* Size (collapsed and extended)

There are a ton of really nice tripods out there, but like lenses, you're going to find that you either wind up with a "jack of all trades" tripod, or you start moving toward a tripod that's very good at some things, and not quite as outstanding at others. Without a little more input from you, I'm afraid you run the risk of people recommending a tripod that's great at what *they* use a tripod for, but that may or may not be the best choice for *you*.

For the record, I like my Manfrotto 190CXPro4 a lot for hiking, macros, and so on, but I don't think it would be my first choice for studio work.

Like Lambertpix mentions, having people help you in selecting the "right" tripod requires input from the buyer, which is you! It's like asking us to help you pick out the right knife for the kitchen. Wellllll, the right knife to do what task? Fillet a salmon or chop up 10 onions? Both have far,far different optimal knives. And you need a budget too. And a weight limit as to what you will actually be willing to carry and use.

My Slik Professional handles my d600 w/grip and my 6inch 2000mm telescope on it just fine.
of course, as mentioned above .. it's a $1000 tripod/head and a bit pricey new. It's heavy and bulky too. A great studio tripod.
In case of emergency, I could probably use it as a ladder.

Whereas my Slik AMT 500 legs with a SBH 320 head is rock solid with all my lenses, though a PITA for minute head adjustments.
Though the Slik ballhead 800 is a PITA in portrait/sideways setup though fantastic for minute adjustments.
Much lighter than the other tripod and easy to carry around (considering the other gigantic tripod).

So you have to look for legs, then a head based on your requirements and how you plan on using it.

Do you know enough about tripods to narrow down some basic characteristics?

* Indoor (studio) vs. outdoor use
* Flip vs. twist-lock legs
* 3- or 4-section legs
* Positionable center column (horizontal)
* Weight
* Size (collapsed and extended)

There are a ton of really nice tripods out there, but like lenses, you're going to find that you either wind up with a "jack of all trades" tripod, or you start moving toward a tripod that's very good at some things, and not quite as outstanding at others. Without a little more input from you, I'm afraid you run the risk of people recommending a tripod that's great at what *they* use a tripod for, but that may or may not be the best choice for *you*.

For the record, I like my Manfrotto 190CXPro4 a lot for hiking, macros, and so on, but I don't think it would be my first choice for studio work.

I guess i didn't give these aspects much thought, just like you i love hiking and using my tripod for outdoor macro, portrait, landscape, long exposures.

Like Lambertpix mentions, having people help you in selecting the "right" tripod requires input from the buyer, which is you! It's like asking us to help you pick out the right knife for the kitchen. Wellllll, the right knife to do what task? Fillet a salmon or chop up 10 onions? Both have far,far different optimal knives. And you need a budget too. And a weight limit as to what you will actually be willing to carry and use.

I'm still waiting for the TPF Help me pick a spouse section. I keep putting it in the suggestion box. Oddly enough so far though no response.

FWIW
My Slik 500 AMT is lightweight - for it's size,
flip lock legs
3 section legs
AMT - allot of Aluminum, Magnesium, Titanium with non-twisting design
3 position, adjustable leg lock
$99 new
BUT is rated for 10 lbs

whereas the 700 model is the same price, features but rated to 15lbs

but I love the smaller size of the 500 to the 700 (and the professional)
for carrying it with me

you might want to go to a full fledged camera store and look at their tripods to get a better idea of all the features and how they work.

I kind of love the functionality of this tripod.

That tilt forward with the middle thing is something i've always wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW
My Slik 500 AMT is lightweight - for it's size,
flip lock legs
3 section legs
AMT - allot of Aluminum, Magnesium, Titanium with non-twisting design
3 position, adjustable leg lock
$99 new
BUT is rated for 10 lbs

whereas the 700 model is the same price, features but rated to 15lbs

but I love the smaller size of the 500 to the 700 (and the professional)
for carrying it with me

you might want to go to a full fledged camera store and look at their tripods to get a better idea of all the features and how they work.

My camera store is really not much to look at. They dont carry all the neat stuff you find in B&h, so my choice is online purchase.

I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 808RC4 3-way head. The load rating on the tripod is 15.43 pounds, and I often use it with my Mamiya RZ67 with the 75mm tilt lens and prism finder (which approaches the weight limit). It feels rock solid, and I have never worried about stability.

This one is also very neat. Appears to have good reviews too.

http://www.amazon.de/Manfrotto-055XPROB-Ausz%C3%BCge-Belastbarkeit-schwarz/dp/B000TSHPCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399312656&sr=8-1&keywords=Manfrotto+055XPROB

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

This one is also very neat. Appears to have good reviews too.

Manfrotto 055XPROB Stativ Pro schwarz ohne Kopf: Amazon.de: Kamera & Foto

The 055 is the most recommended entry level "good" tripod.
Things to remember: there is no standardized method of measuring a tripods load rating, it's pretty much up to the manufacturer to determine.
There is a difference between a tripod that can support the weight, and one that can support it with good stability.
There are compromises to be made between ultimate stability and portability, it's up to you to balance the two.
If you're hanging the camera off the tripod at an angle, you should still hang a counterweight underneath it, that's why there's a hook there.
Budget, budget, budget. Everyone always asks for tripod recommendations without offering a budget. Without knowing your budget it's easy to recommend an $800 set of legs and a $500 head. It'd be an awesome set up, but is it in your budget? Conversely, there are alternatives out there that are much better than the budget Manfrotto pods like the 190 and 055 but cost less than the Gitzo and RRS. You could go with something like Feisol or Sirui or Induro and end up with a light, sturdy carbon tripod for less than the Gitzo/RRS units (Induro and Feisol are quite popular over here). You could skip the RRS/Markins/Acratech head and get something like a Sirui, PhotoClam or Flashpoint that would offer solid performance on a tighter budget, but we'd still need to know your budget. ;)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back