Tripod recommendation

I kind of love the functionality of this tripod.

That tilt forward with the middle thing is something i've always wanted.

That's the tripod I've got. Very handy general-use tripod - especially nice for macros & hiking. If you've got any interest in positioning your camera *really* low, an L-bracket works well with the horizontal arm. Otherwise, it can be tricky to orient the camera low and tilt back up, depending on the head you use. In any event, I'm pretty happy with this tripod. There are occasions I'd have appreciated a little more height, but comes with portability in this case, I believe.

If you like this style, Vanguard makes one with a pretty similar design, I believe -- just in the interest of drumming up some competition.

THIS is the tripod I have owned for 20-some years...to me THIS exact tripod is the fastest and best tripod for both in-studio and outdoor work when the key is FAST setup and FAST adjustment. Unlike 5- and 6-pouind tripods that require the photographer to loosen, adjust and tighten three or six or nine leg-locks to make a major height adjustment, this tripod allows you to make MAJOR or minor shifts in height and tripod attitude with ONE, single pinch and release of one of three top-moiunted lock/releases, and it means that instead of half-assing shots because it is so tedious to loosen,adjust, and lock down three, or six, or nine leg sections, you just squeeze and LIFT UP, or SQUEEZE and PUISH DOWN, and BOOM! THe tripod is now exactly where it needs to be.

ANd, because the lower legs are steel, and the upper legs are aluminum, it's very steady.It works VERY well for macro shooting because the tripod can be set up, the trigger squeezed, and then the camera just "rocked", or "pushed around", or "lifted up", or "bent over and aimed", in literally 1 to three seconds time, and as soon as you let go, you're ready to shoot.

This is a professional grade tool, designed for USING...not for light weight and an easy hike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because clearly every other tripod out there is just amateur hour.:roll:

Watch the video. Own one for 20 years. THEN maybe you'd be qualified to comment. As mentioned, I gave multiple reasons on why this tripod is so amazing, and why a high-level professional like Karl Taylor recommends the tripod I've been using for 20+ years, and why he ALSO likes the same model, and has bought a second one to replace one he ruined through neglect.

These two tripods he is suggesting have a feature that other tripods do not have. Perhaps you can watch the video closely. I posted the video, and you made a snarky comment in LESS TIME than it takes to WATCH the video, so I am positive that your're just sniping at me, and that you have not in fact, even had time to WATCH THE VIDEO before firing off your little"dig" of a shot at me.

You disagree with a lot of what I have to say. But, as an owner of this specific tripod model, and other tripods, I know what I am recommending based on over 20 years' worth of use of this product. You? Clearly not.

Last edited:
I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 808RC4 3-way head. The load rating on the tripod is 15.43 pounds, and I often use it with my Mamiya RZ67 with the 75mm tilt lens and prism finder (which approaches the weight limit). It feels rock solid, and I have never worried about stability.

This one is also very neat. Appears to have good reviews too.

Manfrotto 055XPROB Stativ Pro schwarz ohne Kopf: Amazon.de: Kamera & Foto

The 055 is the most recommended entry level "good" tripod.
Things to remember: there is no standardized method of measuring a tripods load rating, it's pretty much up to the manufacturer to determine.
There is a difference between a tripod that can support the weight, and one that can support it with good stability.
There are compromises to be made between ultimate stability and portability, it's up to you to balance the two.
If you're hanging the camera off the tripod at an angle, you should still hang a counterweight underneath it, that's why there's a hook there.
Budget, budget, budget. Everyone always asks for tripod recommendations without offering a budget. Without knowing your budget it's easy to recommend an $800 set of legs and a $500 head. It'd be an awesome set up, but is it in your budget? Conversely, there are alternatives out there that are much better than the budget Manfrotto pods like the 190 and 055 but cost less than the Gitzo and RRS. You could go with something like Feisol or Sirui or Induro and end up with a light, sturdy carbon tripod for less than the Gitzo/RRS units (Induro and Feisol are quite popular over here). You could skip the RRS/Markins/Acratech head and get something like a Sirui, PhotoClam or Flashpoint that would offer solid performance on a tighter budget, but we'd still need to know your budget. ;)

I'm not sure. I don't want to spend too much on a tripod, but it also has to hold my stuff in place. Weight of the tripod is really not important, sturdiness and reliability is a big, big factor. I would say €400 or $600 is the most i would be willing to spend on a tripod.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Watch the video. Own one for 20 years. THEN maybe you'd be qualified to comment. As mentioned, I gave multiple reasons on why this tripod is so amazing, and why a high-level professional like Karl Taylor recommends the tripod I've been using for 20+ years, and why he ALSO likes a similar feature.

AThese two tripods have a feature that other tripods do not have. Perhaps you can watch the video closely. I posted the video, and you made a snarky comment in LESS TIME than it takes to WATCH the video, so I am positive that your'e just sniping at me, and that you have not in fact, even had time to WATCH THE VIDEO before firing off a shot at me.

You disagree with a lot of what I have to say. But, as an owner of this specific tripod model, and other tripods, I know what I am recommending. You? Clearly not.
Yeah, and the guys at RRS and Gitzo could clearly stand to learn a thing or two from you. I have watched the video (I'm a Karl Taylor "fan"). Notice that Karl uses a camera stand in the studio, not a tripod. Notice also that if you need something that will get low, that ain't it. If you want something lightweight, that ain't it. There are a wealth of tripods on the market that are exceptionally stable, durable, and lightweight; they just cost a bit of money. ;)
I don't "disagree with a lot of what you have to say", I disagree with the condescending, absolutist manner in which you state your opinion, as if it's the only valid option/choice. Maybe take some time to reread what you post and you might see it.

I kind of love the functionality of this tripod.

That tilt forward with the middle thing is something i've always wanted.

That's the tripod I've got. Very handy general-use tripod - especially nice for macros & hiking. If you've got any interest in positioning your camera *really* low, an L-bracket works well with the horizontal arm. Otherwise, it can be tricky to orient the camera low and tilt back up, depending on the head you use. In any event, I'm pretty happy with this tripod. There are occasions I'd have appreciated a little more height, but comes with portability in this case, I believe.

If you like this style, Vanguard makes one with a pretty similar design, I believe -- just in the interest of drumming up some competition.

I will look into it. The more functionality these tripods have the more time it leaves me to focus on getting my shot.

THIS is the tripod I have owned for 20-some years...to me THIS exact tripod is the fastest and best tripod for both in-studio and outdoor work when the key is FAST setup and FAST adjustment. Unlike 5- and 6-pouind tripods that require the photographer to loosen, adjust and tighten three or six or nine leg-locks to make a major height adjustment, this tripod allows you to make MAJOR or minor shifts in height and tripod attitude with ONE, single pinch and release of one of three top-moiunted lock/releases, and it means that instead of half-assing shots because it is so tedious to loosen,adjust, and lock down three, or six, or nine leg sections, you just squeeze and LIFT UP, or SQUEEZE and PUISH DOWN, and BOOM! THe tripod is now exactly where it needs to be.

ANd, because the lower legs are steel, and the upper legs are aluminum, it's very steady.It works VERY well for macro shooting because the tripod can be set up, the trigger squeezed, and then the camera just "rocked", or "pushed around", or "lifted up", or "bent over and aimed", in literally 1 to three seconds time, and as soon as you let go, you're ready to shoot.

This is a professional grade tool, designed for USING...not for light weight and an easy hike.

Derrel always brings out the big guns. :lol: That big tripod looks really sturdy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone i think i now know what i want to look for in a tripod. That central column tilt is something i definitely want.

Scatterbrained said:
Yeah, and the guys at RRS and Gitzo could clearly stand to learn a thing or two from you. I have watched the video (I'm a Karl Taylor "fan"). Notice that Karl uses a camera stand in the studio, not a tripod. Notice also that if you need something that will get low, that ain't it. If you want something lightweight, that ain't it. There are a wealth of tripods on the market that are exceptionally stable, durable, and lightweight; they just cost a bit of money. ;)

RRS and Gitzo cannot make a tripod like this: Manfrotto has this one locked up patent-wise, solidly. This tripod is part of Bogen's old "Professional" line. It's a professional-grade, ultra-rapid adjusting, ultra-rapid locking, automatic camera support tool, not an accessory on a long hike up a mountain. I mentioned that it is heavy in my post, and is not good for hikes.

If RRS and Gitzo could get around the patents that Manfrotto holds, they would likely try to design an automatic adjusting and automatic locking tripod. But the fact is..they are still making the same, exact designs that the Chinese are now knocking off. You will note that there are NO Chinese knock-offs of Manfrotto's self-leveling,.self-locking, "automatic tripod" design because Manfrotto has the patents for this thing locked up, world-wide.

All these lightweight, stable, expensive tripods Scatterbrained mentions in theory, or as a class, all share one thing: they are slooooooooow to set up, and slooooooow to adjust. The Manfrotto models Karl Taylor's video shows above have one thing the other companies' tripods ALL lack: INSTANT, ultra-rapid set-up, ultra-fast,instantaneous locking, and ultra-easy,ultra rapid major height adjustments, all done FAST.

So today i was in the garden trying to get some macro photos of flowers and i had my 70-200 + 11-16 both connected to my dslr on my tripod. Halfway into my sesion i noticed my camera sagging and slowly falling down, i ofcourse jumped to save my gear from falling down, seems that my affordable tripod finally broke down under the weight of my gear but i managed to save all my lenses and camera from any damage. Now i'm in the market for a very durable tripod, can you recommend a reliable tripod?

Okay, here's a bunch of comments...

1. The tripod is the single item of all camera gear where it doesn't make sense to buy cheap. In many cases, if you buy a cheap lens, it's still good at a lot of things but it drops off at extremes or is poor in low light or slow (so bad for sports). In other words, you can buy cheap gear and it has limitations but can still have value. But that absolutely isn't true with a tripod. A cheap tripod is weight to carry around, takes up space in your luggage or backpack yet doesn't do what it's supposed to do (provide a stable platform for shooting). I'm not arguing that you need to spend $2,000. But while I can see trying to save money on a lens (by going third party) or getting a refurbished body or a range of other budget options, buying a cheap tripod is a waste of your money. Let me be specific: I'd argue that anything under $180 is a waste of your money (unless you get a good bargain buying a used tripod from a friend).

2. It starts with what you need it for. Let me give you examples...if your tripod is going in to carry-on luggage than you need one that folds short-enough to fit into the airline length limits. If you're going to use it for on-site location shoots you hike to, than you want something that is light-weight (and thus composite). If you shoot outdoors, maybe something with spikes or provisions to hook on to a sandbag. If you're tall and don't want to stoop over, you've got size/length requirements. Sports...than likely a monopod. Food photography....then you want a center column that goes horizontal. Macro photography....then you probably want a focusing rail. You really can't get a tripod that does everything all superbly. B/c to be perfect at some things means to make sacrifices on other areas. So start by identifying what you want your tripod for. For instance, I do a lot of location shoots where I travel in order to get there...so my tripod needs to fit in carry-on and be light-weight for hiking. I sacrifice height (I have to slump over), a tilting center-column, and quick setup for my travel tripod in order to get one that works well for travel and hiking.

3. I've had a bunch of tripods. Right now I have two manfrottos. One has a manfrotto head, the other has an induro head. The head may be more important than the legs/base. Once you get over $140, most sets of legs will be fine for basic stability as long as we're not talking extremes (setting up on ice, 400mm lens). The head is going to determine if you get "creep" with your 200mm slowly slipping to the power of gravity.

If RRS and Gitzo could get around the patents that Manfrotto holds, they would likely try to design an automatic adjusting and automatic locking tripod. But the fact is..they are still making the same, exact designs that the Chinese are now knocking off. You will note that there are NO Chinese knock-offs of Manfrotto's self-leveling,.self-locking, "automatic tripod" design because Manfrotto has the patents for this thing locked up, world-wide.
I wouldn't say that too loudly. "Chinese" and "patents" are not two words I would use in the same sentence. In China, copying is a sign of a "good thing" (at least for their economy & gov't).

Watch the video. Own one for 20 years. THEN maybe you'd be qualified to comment.

Wait, first I need to see a video, then I have to buy the tripod, then I have to wait two whole decades before I can respond to this post? Wow.. tough room. Couldn't I just decide to take your word for it instead like I do with most stuff?

Lol - well the tripod I have isn't anywhere near this nice of course, but it is built like a fricken tank. I don't really use tripods much, once in a blue moon at best, so as a result I've never really felt the need to replace this one, but it weighs a ton. It is definatly not something you'd want to hike around with, not without a two wheel dolly of some sort. On the upside though because of the weight it's stable as all get out, never had to hang any extra weight off of it or anything along those lines. I agree with you that a heavy duty, solidly built tripod can be a real advantage. If and when I ever manage to break the one I have I'll definately be giving one of these a good look.

Last edited:
I recently picked up used bogenn3303 (I think I got the right model #).
I photograph kids in studio and adults on-location. It goes to about 6feet high and as low as about 3feet (wish it was lower). Centet column extends with a crank (good for video but not stills). Its actually a video tripod.
I got it with joystick head. For the price it was all worth it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back