Tripod recommendations for travel

SHaller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just found out that I'm going to be doing a fair amount of travel during spring and summer with all of being within the US. Since most airlines now are charing an arm and a leg for bag fees, I don't think I will be checking a bag. I used to be able to just fit my tripod in my suitcase, but It wont fit in my carry on suitcase. I also figured this is a good excuse to buy a better tripod.

I'm looking for something that has twist leg locks and has a decent weight capacity. I dont need something too extreme since it probably wont be holding much more than a body and a 400 5.6. I want it to be somewhat weather proof since its going to be outside a lot probably with the legs dirt, mud, and some water. Somewhere around $200 would also be nice but I'm open to suggestions to both higher and lower priced set ups. I'm no tripod guru, so I don't really know if everything I want in a tripod is available. If not, I'm open to the idea of having one for just traveling and one for everyday use.

Companies like Manfrotto, Gitzo & others make 4 and 5 section tripods. This means that the collapsed height is much smaller than a regular 3 section tripod.
Since you'll be hauling it around, it might be nice to get a carbon fiber tripod, as they are much lighter....much more expensive as well.

I'm sure you'll be able to find what you want...but not necessarily in your price range.

As Mike said, your budget is a bit on the tight side, check out Craig's List and other 'sites for used gear.

we got a benro and although it is a bit on the heavy side, it pretty much works and we love it

Do not rule out the versatile Monopod either, it just may surprise you as to how quickly you're ready to set up and shoot.

I just found out that I'm going to be doing a fair amount of travel during spring and summer with all of being within the US. Since most airlines now are charing an arm and a leg for bag fees, I don't think I will be checking a bag. I used to be able to just fit my tripod in my suitcase, but It wont fit in my carry on suitcase. I also figured this is a good excuse to buy a better tripod.

Somewhere around $200 would also be nice but I'm open to suggestions to both higher and lower priced set ups.
This will just fit (diagonal) in a regulation carry-on bag, and is what I always used when traveling:

Giottos MT9360 Aluminum 4-Section Tripod Series III Professional

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Somewhere around $200 would also be nice but I'm open to suggestions to both higher and lower priced set ups.
This will just fit (diagonal) in a regulation carry-on bag, and is what I always used when traveling:

Giottos MT9360 Aluminum 4-Section Tripod Series III Professional

I was actually looking at that, but its almost 2x the weight of the benro

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do not rule out the versatile Monopod either, it just may surprise you as to how quickly you're ready to set up and shoot.

I have one. Doesn't work the best with 30 second exposures lol

For travel, you will want carbon fiber tripod. They are light but extremely steady. However, they are also expensive.

If you have $300 to spend, take a look at Oben carbon fiber tripods exclusively from B&H. I personally bought CT3400 with a very good ball head for $350. It had worked well and quality is very good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back