Tripod selection

vk1115

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to purchase a new tripod for my 500D which I will be using with 55-250mm & 18-55mm lenses. I have been looking at quite a few options since a 3 months now but I am still undecided. I am looking to buy something under $50. I know that tripods in that range will not necessarily offer the best quality but I am willing to take a trade-off for the price. I have narrowed down on 2 options. Please give me some input on them. I intend to use this mainly for landscape.

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Polaroid 72" Photo / Video ProPod Tripod Includes Deluxe Tripod Carrying Case + Additional Quick Release Plate For Digital Cameras & Camcorders: Electronics

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You should really find somewhere that has the tripods ... and place your camera with the longest lens on it, to see if it is steady (tap the end of the lens and see what happens).

A tripod only has one purpose ... to keep the camera/lens from moving.

My input? Don't!

Simply put, why would you trust your multi-hundred or thousand dollar camera and lens combination to a cheap support system. This will lead to grief, probably sooner than later. I would reccomend one of two options:

1. Save your money until you can afford at the very least one of the higher-end Sunpak or Velbon units or even a basic Manfrotto; or

2. Look on the used market. Tripods are a great thing to buy used and you usually save at least 1/3 or or more off of new price.

Things to look for in a tripod: Metal construction, esp. in the hinges, easy-to-operate leg latches, interchangable heads, ability to support at least TWICE the weight of your heaviest body/lens combination.

Yes, I agree with tirediron.

I picked up a Manfrotto 190 aluminum legs here in the Buy and Sell for $40.00.
It is light enough for travel, yet is steady enough for my equipment (load capacity 5kg/11lbs).

2. Look on the used market
That is good advice.

The only tripod that I've had from new (it was a gift) is a cheap(ish) Velbon and it's the only one that has crapped out on me. I have 8 or 10 that I've bought used or inherited...and it's clear to see that the good quality ones can last a lifetime.

I agree with everyone here, I had bought a couple cheap tripods (probably around $30) for my camcorder and they worked ok, but the camcorder it light and with image stabilizer doesn't need to be that steady. Then I bought a more expensive slik with manfrotto head and what a difference. I wouldn't think of putting my dslr on the cheap tripod, though I still keep it for the camcorder if I am filming and taking pictures, but if I am not using the better tripod for my camera I will even put the camcorder on that.

Anyway, i would not buy a cheap tripod for a dslr- they are way too much money to trust to some plastic piece of crap- not only are the legs and head mostly plastic, but so are the quick release plates(which I think is one of the most important parts). Also the heads are not even close to smooth. Look for a used quality one on ebay or craigslist. I am sure you can find one for $50.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back