What's new

tripod suggestions?

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Joined
Nov 19, 2010
Messages
2,507
Reaction score
440
Location
San Jose, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i think i need a better tripod, i have 2 small ones that arent very stable, and one slightly better one i got for free, but part of it is cracked. budget is around 200 dollars, unless it isnt reasonable to buy one for that cheap. thanks in advance!

(i HAVE done research, i just don't personally know anyone with a good tripod or what entails a good setup besides the obvious qualities, please dont e-jump me)
 
$200 is a reasonable budget, especially if you buy used. Check your local Craig's List and see what's on offer there. Manfrotto and Giottos are bother very good brands, the higher-end Sunpak and Velbon units aren't bad. Look for models with metal hinges and choose a model which is rated to support at least twice the weight of your heaviest lens/body combination. Note that generally when you buy higher end tripods, the legs and the head are separate. I generally prefer the ball style head for most work as opposed to the tilt-pan head (which unfortunately is usually cheaper).
 
I love Giottos....

you might consider this.. depending on how heavy your heaviest body/lens combo is...

Tripod $119 max load 11 lbs ( I use this one as my carry around tripod - it rocks! I also have a Giottos 9371B.. too darn heavy! But great for studio / home)
Amazon.com: Giottos MTL9251B Classic 3-Section Aluminum Tripod with Flip Leg Locks: Camera & Photo

Head $74 max load 13 lbs ( have one of these I am not using.. I will let you have it for $50 plus shipping, if you want it. Works great.. and almost new! I just went to a heavier unit, when I got my 70-200 VRII, since that puppy is so heavy and expensive! It handled it, I just like overkill!)
Amazon.com: Giottos MH5001 3-Way Pan Head with Quick Release: Camera & Photo

Giottos website.. GIOTTO'S-Professional Photographic Equipment
 
Manfrotto makes killer gear too.. that would be a nice setup also.
 
I use this type of setup when traveling: Amazon.com: Manfrotto Tripod Bundle With Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod & Manfrotto 494RC2 Mini Ball Head with Quick Release Plate: Electronics
(though with a larger ball head)

What size lenses do you intend to use with it ?
Did you need something light ... or it does not matter ?

at this point in time, all i have is an 18-105 and a 50mm prime, neither of which add very much weight to the whole setup. i do however plan on acquiring a telephoto lens in the near future, i'll have to figure out the weight.. thank you all for your resources btw.. i had deduced that manfrotto was a good brand, as i had heard about them on TPF a few times before.
 
I love Giottos....

you might consider this.. depending on how heavy your heaviest body/lens combo is...

Tripod $119 max load 11 lbs ( I use this one as my carry around tripod - it rocks! I also have a Giottos 9371B.. too darn heavy! But great for studio / home)
Amazon.com: Giottos MTL9251B Classic 3-Section Aluminum Tripod with Flip Leg Locks: Camera & Photo

Head $74 max load 13 lbs ( have one of these I am not using.. I will let you have it for $50 plus shipping, if you want it. Works great.. and almost new! I just went to a heavier unit, when I got my 70-200 VRII, since that puppy is so heavy and expensive! It handled it, I just like overkill!)
Amazon.com: Giottos MH5001 3-Way Pan Head with Quick Release: Camera & Photo

Giottos website.. GIOTTO'S-Professional Photographic Equipment


i willl DEFINITELY contact you about this, kind sir ;)
 
directly below me is an advertisement for a certain Induro 5 way Panhead... that sounds tasty. anybody have any opinions on that?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom