Tripod, Which Brand, Model ?

Alpha_Omega

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for a new Tripod. It will be my first one but don't want to buy another. I would rather get something good rather than buy another one soon. Does anybody have a recommendation as to which manufacture makes the best tripods ? and maybe even throw in a model number if you have a preference. Thanks

Nathan

Based on what majority of users say, and pricing ... I'm guessing Gitzo is tops or close to top.

I recently got the Manfrotto 055XPROB with 488RC2 head - this "set" is less then price of Gitzo leg. I normally use this with a 30D and 70-200 f/2.8L IS. The ball head is very solid - would love to take it apart to see what they are using to hold it so tightly with so little effort required to "tighten". No problems so far.

You can use URL clicky in upper right hand corner - I normally go to B&H so I know they have the Gitzo, and I got my Manfrotto set from them.

Feisol is the one that seems to be a good alternative to the major brands, although you did not mention money. Keep in mind that you can easily spend $500.00-600.00 for legs and another $300.00-500.00 for a ball head, but also keep in mind that they will last your lifetime.

Discussions on specific models will be impossible without knowing what you will be placing on the tripod. The most important spec to look at when shopping for a tripod is the max weight the tripod is rated for.

With that said, I like Gitzo (expensive) and Manfrotto products. SLIK is good for tighter budgets.

I will be mounting a Canon 40D on it.

What if I want to spend about 200 for the tripod and head ? is that to little ?

I own a Giottos tripod. It's light, solid, and easy to carry. I'm not entirely sure what is the maximum weight, but I'd recommend it for someone who needs a compact, solid and portable tripod.

I just bought my third tripod and hope it will be my last. I needed a tripod that would be rock solid with a 500mm tele zoom. After much research I bought the Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 322RC2 ball grip head. I got this as a kit from B&H for $300 including shipping and there is a $25 rebate. It is a bit heavy at about 6 1/2 lbs, but I needed the stability. You can get a lighter setup but they cost more.

From what I found Manfrotto makes a professional tripod and head at a reasonable cost. They also consistently get good reviews.

The grip ball head is really nice. It has a joystick handle that releases the grip and allows you to adjust in all directions with one hand.

When I took pictures for a cooking school once they had
photography equipment there already for some reason and
I got to use a good tripod. I really like it and now my
friend says she will buy it for me for my birthday (that was 2 months ago).
It's only $99 too.

Lol I remmeber one problem I didn't know how to mount my
camera on the tripod LOL :blushing::blushing::blushing:
There was no twisting thing at the bottom so
I spun the tripod while holding the camera.

Here is the link and a pic:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/48712-REG/Slik_612_212_U212_Tripod.html

48712.jpg

I will be mounting a Canon 40D on it.
Depends on the lens too. For consumer weight lenses, I use my cheapest crappiest dinkiest but also most portable tripod for my D80 and lighter lenses. A Quantaray/Ritz QT-100 with flimsy aluminum telescoping legs. It's no problem at all to stick right in the side of my Tamrac messenger bag. For heavier duty stuff I have far sturdier stuff, but also cheap. I can't see myself getting serious about tripods and support stuff until I get like a 300mm f/2.8 or something, LOL.

That's true. I also have a Slik 6600 that I bought for about $40. It works fine with my Rebel XTi with the Sigma 18-200 lens. The long telephotos are heavy and more sensitive to camera shake. That's the reason I bought the Manfrotto tripod.

I like this as a reference by Thom Hogan for buying good to begin with. Although personal budgets come into play, it's still worth to note. It's like the old Fram Oil Filter commercials. Pay me now or pay me later.

I actually have Manfrotto 055XPROB legs and Manfrotto 488RC4 Midi Ball Head. Has done me well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back