Tripod?

JonathanNYC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i purchased some cheapo Dynex tripod from Bestbuy ($39.99) and it really doesn't have a great mount (its plastic)

what does TPF think of this one instead, yes I know its not carbon fiber and its a basic cheapo one, but as far as a beginners tripod, whats your take? (obviously I value your opinions! :thumbup:)

Polaroid - Studio Series 64" Tripod - PLTRI64

$64.99

5208987_ra.jpg;canvasHeight=280;canvasWidth=280

This Polaroid Studio Series PLTRI64 64" tripod features an ultrasmooth pan/tilt head for simple camera adjustments and a stay-set auto locking mechanism for quick height adjustments.
[h=2]What's Included[/h]
  • Polaroid Studio Series 64" Tripod
  • Deluxe carrying case
  • Owner's manual

[h=2]Product Features[/h]
  • Rubber feet with retractable spikes
    Provide extra stability.
  • 4-section, adjustable legs
    With stay-set auto locking mechanism allow quick, easy height adjustments up to 64".
  • Removable center-column weight hook
    Makes it easy to provide added stability when needed.
  • Dual bubble levels
    Allow precision leveling.
  • Deluxe carrying case
    Protects your tripod on the go.
  • From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
  • Compatible with most digital cameras and camcorders up to 8 lbs.
    For wide-ranging use.
  • Ultrasmooth pan/tilt head
    Allows simple camera adjustments.
  • Quick-lock camera platform
    Plus a quick-release plate for easy camera mounting and removal.

Having read and responded to some of your posts and threads, it's clear that you're trying to get into photography, but you don't really have the budget to get the good stuff, so you're trying to pull it off on the cheap. Not uncommon. We see it all the time.

Here's what's likely going to happen if you follow this course. You're going to buy a bunch of cheap gear and be dissatisfied with it. Then you're going to buy better gear, discover it still has limitations, be dissatisfied some more, and finally, if you stick with it, you'll knuckle down, save your pennies, bite the bullet, and get great gear.

By doing it that way, you will have spent FAR MORE in the long run than if you'd just bit the bullet from the beginning. You can try to sell the lesser gear at that point, but you'll get pennies on the dollar of what you paid.

Yes, it is expensive to get good, new, photo gear. It can be downright painful, especially for someone unfamiliar with the gear and the prices and the reasons for it. But with photo gear, you seriously get what you pay for. Either knuckle down and start saving for the good stuff, or resign yourself to the fact that you're going to make the best of using low-priced gear that will have limitations that leave you hanging time and again.

On a budget, you're better off buying good, USED photo gear in order to save a bit of cash, but that comes with its own problems, like no warranties. And since most of it doesn't depreciate much, you won't save THAT much, usually. Bodies can be the exception. A full frame Canon 5D right now is still an awesome shooter, and can save you a bundle over a new full frame camera, for example. But glass and other gear, if taken care of, doesn't lose much value, and if it wasn't taken care of, it isn't worth having anyway because the optics and/or mechanics and/or seals are probably hosed.

I can't tell you anything about the quality or dependability of a Polaroid tripod sold at Best Buy for a whopping $65 including the head, because I would never buy one, and have never used one.

I can tell you that my Manfrotto tripod and Manfrotto ball head, while costing a couple hundred bucks, have never failed me in any conditions through deserts, wind, rain, snow, mountains, beach sand, standing in salt water and fresh, shipped all over the country on trucks and airplanes, strapped to backpacks, and rolling around loose in the trunks and floorboards of cars - for the past 10 years, and it looks like they'll probably out-live me and still be working as well as the day I bought them.

Just some things to think about as you begin this journey. Get over the cost, because it ain't going away, and there's no quick, cheap fix for it. Either get on board with it and figure out how to work your budget with it, or get a different hobby - this one is not for the faint of wallet.

Exactly what Buckster said! Photography is an expensive hobby; and nowhere is the 'You get what you pay for' adage more true than in photography. Tripods are a great deal used; I've bought most of mine through Craig's List and similar for a lot less money than new. I recently bought a like-new set of Manfrotto 055 legs in aluminum for $65.

Rather than spend another $70 (which, including the other tripod) would mean ~$110 total, save your money for a while. $150 will get you into a NICE tripod and head on the used market, or a decent one in the new market. FWIW, my recommendation on the tripod you've asked about would be: Not in a million years!

Having read and responded to some of your posts and threads, it's clear that you're trying to get into photography, but you don't really have the budget to get the good stuff, so you're trying to pull it off on the cheap. Not uncommon. We see it all the time.

Here's what's likely going to happen if you follow this course. You're going to buy a bunch of cheap gear and be dissatisfied with it. Then you're going to buy better gear, discover it still has limitations, be dissatisfied some more, and finally, if you stick with it, you'll knuckle down, save your pennies, bite the bullet, and get great gear.

By doing it that way, you will have spent FAR MORE in the long run than if you'd just bit the bullet from the beginning. You can try to sell the lesser gear at that point, but you'll get pennies on the dollar of what you paid.

Yes, it is expensive to get good, new, photo gear. It can be downright painful, especially for someone unfamiliar with the gear and the prices and the reasons for it. But with photo gear, you seriously get what you pay for. Either knuckle down and start saving for the good stuff, or resign yourself to the fact that you're going to make the best of using low-priced gear that will have limitations that leave you hanging time and again.

On a budget, you're better off buying good, USED photo gear in order to save a bit of cash, but that comes with its own problems, like no warranties. And since most of it doesn't depreciate much, you won't save THAT much, usually. Bodies can be the exception. A full frame Canon 5D right now is still an awesome shooter, and can save you a bundle over a new full frame camera, for example. But glass and other gear, if taken care of, doesn't lose much value, and if it wasn't taken care of, it isn't worth having anyway because the optics and/or mechanics and/or seals are probably hosed.

I can't tell you anything about the quality or dependability of a Polaroid tripod sold at Best Buy for a whopping $65 including the head, because I would never buy one, and have never used one.

I can tell you that my Manfrotto tripod and Manfrotto ball head, while costing a couple hundred bucks, have never failed me in any conditions through deserts, wind, rain, snow, mountains, beach sand, standing in salt water and fresh, shipped all over the country on trucks and airplanes, strapped to backpacks, and rolling around loose in the trunks and floorboards of cars - for the past 10 years, and it looks like they'll probably out-live me and still be working as well as the day I bought them.

Just some things to think about as you begin this journey. Get over the cost, because it ain't going away, and there's no quick, cheap fix for it. Either get on board with it and figure out how to work your budget with it, or get a different hobby - this one is not for the faint of wallet.

your one of my favorite posters. I take everything you say for face value and appreciate it! I am returning this dynex junk b/c I know what you mean, shooting with it last night it was not steady, the camera kept shifting and I had to constantly readjust it. I will save my pennies... however I do see this Manfrotto one... and yes I know I am not a pro nor do i pretend to be, i want sturdy dependable and "good" stuff. Would I love the pro stuff? Absolutely! but to justify that I'd have to
1. make a living off of it
2. be a millionaire

unfortunately I won't be doing either :lol:

So while I wouldn't mind "pro level" i know my wife won't bite on me blowing tons of $$$$ on the high level stuff, I don't mind the mid range but thats where I falter, i don't know what is considered "good versus junk" or entry level junk. i want to spend a decent amount but not eat a hole in my account.

looking to get a decent setup a telephoto lens, a decent tripod, i already have a 55mm 1.4f canon (bought used) so i saved some pennies :)

thats the extent, no crazy back drops, no multiple flash setups etc.

so that being said,

lol dont crucify me yet TPF what about this "reputable name"
Manfrotto - 390 Series 56.7" Tripod - MK394-PQ

...lol dont crucify me yet TPF what about this "reputable name"
This is definitely a MUCH better choice, BUT. With a maximum height of 56", unless you're a fairly short person, you're going to find yourself hunched over a lot of the time, which can become uncomfortable over time. Another consideration is that a general guideline is that tripod you use should be rated for at least twice the weight of your heaviest body/lens combination. With a 7lb limit that means that your lens/body shouldn't weigh more than about 3.5lbs. Lastly, these are four-section legs. That's great for travel as they're more compact, but they're also less rigid than three-section, and because there's one more set of locks, that much more of a pain to set up.

Again, consider waiting a little longer and saving a little more. At that price-point, there are likely to be some good contenders on Craig's List, but if that doesn't appeal than this is definitely a better choice than the Polaroid.

...lol dont crucify me yet TPF what about this "reputable name"
This is definitely a MUCH better choice, BUT. With a maximum height of 56", unless you're a fairly short person, you're going to find yourself hunched over a lot of the time, which can become uncomfortable over time. Another consideration is that a general guideline is that tripod you use should be rated for at least twice the weight of your heaviest body/lens combination. With a 7lb limit that means that your lens/body shouldn't weigh more than about 3.5lbs. Lastly, these are four-section legs. That's great for travel as they're more compact, but they're also less rigid than three-section, and because there's one more set of locks, that much more of a pain to set up.

Again, consider waiting a little longer and saving a little more. At that price-point, there are likely to be some good contenders on Craig's List, but if that doesn't appeal than this is definitely a better choice than the Polaroid.

i see what you mean, that dynex one had me sort of hunching, but i remedied that b/c the D60 has that flip out LCD screen. i think im going to return the dynex and buy this manfrotto one just to try it out :thumbup:

manfrotto purchased. MK394-PQ

amazon has it for $99.XX with amazon prime.

Bestbuy.com has it for $91.XX with tax and free ship its about $100.00 but at least I can return it to bestbuy if it stinks :) thanks so far for the help guys! love TPF

As tirediron suggested, 56" might be too short; I've discovered that it is, even for me! A cheap tripod at full extension can be almost useless and even risky.

Get something lightly-used on eBay or craigslist. That's what I should have done and what I'll do for my next tripod if I can't find something used and awesome elsewhere. Did I mention the word "used"? ;)

Perhaps consider a decent monopod as an interim cost option. It will get you stability for various shots with a longer lens, and will not go to waste.

JonathanNYC said:
how is sunpak? never really shopped tripods so i know nothing of brands or reputation on most of them

Tripods SUNPAK PRO 423PX CARBON WITH 3-WAY HEAD, QUICK RELEASE 9.5-64.75", COMPLETE TRIPOD - KEH.com

Not familiar with that tripod but I have a 100.00 tripod and it's crap. Unless you need it right now id save up til you can afford a nice sturdy tripod. They are pricey but worth it. My 100.00 tripod has pieces falling off all the time. It's not sturdy, can't hold up a long heavy lens and it just plain sucks. I'd stay away from 100.00 tripods if you want a good quality one unlike the one you already have.

how is sunpak? never really shopped tripods so i know nothing of brands or reputation on most of them

Tripods SUNPAK PRO 423PX CARBON WITH 3-WAY HEAD, QUICK RELEASE 9.5-64.75", COMPLETE TRIPOD - KEH.com

Get your self a ball head you will enjoy it more!

As far as sunpak they are still cheap.

Vanguard, Manfrotto, Gitzo, Really right stuff are all that ones that you want to look into. If you plan on getting serious about photography a good tripod makes a huge difference.

I use the vanguard tri pod alta pro 263at legs with the sbh-250 ball head and it has been very good thus far. Not the top top of the line but not at the low end by far. I would consider it in the mid high end line up and its a decent price.

Get your self a ball head you will enjoy it more!

As far as sunpak they are still cheap.

Vanguard, Manfrotto, Gitzo, Really right stuff are all that ones that you want to look into. If you plan on getting serious about photography a good tripod makes a huge difference.

I use the vanguard tri pod alta pro 263at legs with the sbh-250 ball head and it has been very good thus far. Not the top top of the line but not at the low end by far. I would consider it in the mid high end line up and its a decent price.
Calumet's got some nice ones too.

Sunpak's gear runs the whole gamut from really good (their 3, & 500-series 'hammerhead' flashes) to utter junk. It's really a matter of looki at each item and deciding.

Exactly what Buckster said! Photography is an expensive hobby; and nowhere is the 'You get what you pay for' adage more true than in photography.

OHhhhhh...............................You haven't tried auto racing have you???? :lmao:

To the OP. Read this article: Tripods and Ball Heads by Thom Hogan

You don't have to spend the kind of money Thom does, but if you plan ahead and save up a bit you can get a setup that will last you a lifetime without and issues.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back