Tripods for outdoors?

Mole said:
What do you guys think of this set up for $233?[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod Legs (Black) with 488RC2 Midi Ballhead (RC2 Quick Release) - Supports 11.8 lb (5.4 kg)[/FONT]

shim.gif

I've got that combo, and I really like it. Because the legs are so flexible, it really expands your options if you are in a tight space. I've used it in some pretty crazy positions. The ballhead is awesome too. it allows you to really fine tune your angle with your camera and lock it down quickly.

I will be so bold as to offer an unpopular opinion:

I have a 30 dollar QUANTARAY, and it hasnt failed me yet. While it may not last as long as some of these other tripods, it still is in a price range I can be comfortable with if it breaks, and it doesnt mean Ive invested "pro" prices into a "hobbyist" piece of equipment - ESPECIALLY if youre just starting. You dont buy the most top of the line motocycle, if youve just gotted your MC Liscence.

Mole said:
What do you guys think of this set up for $233?[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bogen / Manfrotto 3021BPRO Tripod Legs (Black) with 488RC2 Midi Ballhead (RC2 Quick Release) - Supports 11.8 lb (5.4 kg)[/FONT]
shim.gif

That's almost exactly what I'm about to purchase. I'm going for the 488RC4 head tho (slightly different quick release plate). I've heard the black finish is quite easily chipped so I might so for the chrome finish. It's a reasonably heavy combo tho if you're walking any distance with it. Suppsoed to be OK with a bag. I'm going to a store to try out the weight one more time before I hit the button :)

You might want to check out the GITZO line...they are expensive, but worth every cent and they can take just about any kind of punishment you can dish out!

the important thing is to get a tripod that is sturdy and will support all your gear and keep it steady in wind etc. Cheap tripods just aren't heavy enough, i've had them tip over or they are shaky and you end up with blurry shots.

Another benefit of the better tripod is that you can place the legs in many different positions, allowing you to get very low, or into tight spaces.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back