Tripods

ljames44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the center column on a Bogen 3001 tripod with a Manfrotto 329 head to get more height? The maximum height of this tripod is 60". I would like to video record musicians on a stage without interference from people walking in front in front of the camera. Doing a search for parts so far has not been too successful. I would like to go higher without buying a whole new tripod if possible.

Heads and center columns are apples and oranges. Heads are universal (for the most part). Centre colums may or may not be interchangable, but even if they do interchange, I would recommend against using a center column taller than the one for which a particular tripod was designed. There's a reason that it is the length it is, and the higher you make the load, the higher the center of gravity, and the more unstable it becomes. Spend the extra money, get the right gear and don't risk it.

I would risk it, depending on how much higher you want to go with it. I don't believe that making it a bit taller is going to make it inherently unstable, unless we're talking several feet taller.

Whether you can find a longer center column that fits is the real question, and I dare say that the only way to find that out is to contact Bogen about it.

As I'm a DIY guy by nature, I'd just fabricate an extension to place on top of the existing column myself. It wouldn't be very difficult. I'd guess $10 worth of nuts, bolts and a piece of straight metal from the local big box home improvement store is all you'd need. If you're not a DIY sort of person, maybe you know someone who is.

How much taller are you wanting it to be?

Heads and center columns are apples and oranges. Heads are universal (for the most part). Centre colums may or may not be interchangable, but even if they do interchange, I would recommend against using a center column taller than the one for which a particular tripod was designed. There's a reason that it is the length it is, and the higher you make the load, the higher the center of gravity, and the more unstable it becomes. Spend the extra money, get the right gear and don't risk it.
I understand about the stability. I would like to gain 18"-24" in height. Searching for tall tripods online I did find a Panasonic with 75" max height for about $45, so that may be a possibility. I haven't tried to remove the head from the column yet, but if it's possible, all I would need would be a 1" aluminum tube. For stability I would try adding a hook at the bottom of the column to hold a weight of some sort. I have seen this setup on some of the higher priced tall tripods. Thanks for your input.

I would risk it, depending on how much higher you want to go with it. I don't believe that making it a bit taller is going to make it inherently unstable, unless we're talking several feet taller.

Whether you can find a longer center column that fits is the real question, and I dare say that the only way to find that out is to contact Bogen about it.

As I'm a DIY guy by nature, I'd just fabricate an extension to place on top of the existing column myself. It wouldn't be very difficult. I'd guess $10 worth of nuts, bolts and a piece of straight metal from the local big box home improvement store is all you'd need. If you're not a DIY sort of person, maybe you know someone who is.

How much taller are you wanting it to be?
About 18"-24". I am a retired machinist, so DIY is easy enough. I don't think any machining would be necessary; the column looks to be a piece of 1" aluminum. If I can remove the head from the column and transfer to the longer tube, problem solved. If you can read my reply to tirediron above, you will see I have some other ideas. Thanks for your input.

If you pull the center column all the way out of the tripod you will probably see three set screws on the underside of the column flange, loosened them off (you may have to loosen then quite a bit as some heads have a wave pattern track that the screws mate with) then head should simply unscrew from end of the column. You can tighten up the azimuth locking handle on the head and use it a lever to unscrew the head.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back