Trouble with RAW in PS

catweh00

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm having trouble opening up RAW NEF files in Photoshop CS. I thought I had the RAW plug-in, and PS can open the file and read them, but I do not and cannot open up the full dialogue box??? Really, when I open the NEF file, the only 2 options i can change in RAW are the Exposure Compensation and White balance. there are no other options available. Anyone know how to fix this?

Craig

this is easy to fix, i had the same problem...
you need to delete the nikon raw plugin, because it overrides the photoshop raw plugin :)

from http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/adobe-camera-raw-problems.html :

"On Windows, the plugin for Adobe Camera Raw is called Camera Raw.8bi and lives in "Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats". The plugin for Nikon View is Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi and gets installed to "Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS\Plug-ins\Adobe Photoshop Only\File Formats". BibbleFormat.8bi is the plugin provided with Bibble. It can be found in "Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\File Formats". If you choose to rename the ones not in use rather than delete them, simply change the suffix to something other than "8bi" and Photoshop will ignore them. Make sure Photoshop is not running when you make your changes since you can not delete or rename files that are in use.

On Mac OS, the folder names are similar but the plugins don't have the "8bi" suffix. To rename one, simply put a "~" in front of its name, as in ~Nikon NEF Plugin.

If you have more than one of these present, the Nikon View one has priority with the Adobe Camera Raw one being second. The Bibble plugin can only be accessed if you rename or delete both of the other two."

that should do the trick for you
enjoy the photoshop raw plugin which is awesome!!!
roon

You are incredible! thank you so much for helping out! I finally found the light and can work in RAW again!
Craig

It doesn't matter if you change the extension (not that it won't work, you just don't have to do it). All you have to do is rename it. What i generally do is add a .bak extension right before the real extension. So it would say, "....bak.8bi" that way I know what the real extension was supposed to be.

The file is located by path, and the file name is part of the path, for instance, it would start in that program's root directory so "Adobe Photoshop CS". Plug-Ins\File Formats\plugin.8bi would be what it is looking for. If you in any way manipulate any part of that it won't be able to locate it. You can basially either rename the file, or move the file.

Most reactions

Back