Trouble with Sports

MichaelMigz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey All. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for shooting football games at night. Theyre under the lights, but even at ISO 1600 i was getting blurry pictures. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What lens are you using? If it's not a 2.8, then you can forget it. You might end up using ISO 3200 film. Night time is not the best time for freezing motion.

Get really, really bright strobes. (?)

Like Matt said, unless you're using a really quick lens, you can pretty much forget it.

thats what i figured. im using a cheap 4.8. 3200 film isn an option since im shooting digital... and strobes are kind of impractical for me...

thanks for the help guys!

MichaelMigz said:
thats what i figured. im using a cheap 4.8. 3200 film isn an option since im shooting digital... and strobes are kind of impractical for me...

thanks for the help guys!

You can probably purchase a used film camera for under $100, and shoot 3200 film.

In football, there are many photograph-able moments when motion almost ceases: the QB looking downfield, the rusher stopped at the LOS, etc.

Digital Matt said:
You can probably purchase a used film camera for under $100, and shoot 3200 film.

but prepare for high grain with that film... In some ways, the high grain has a nice look to it.

Also... no all film cameras have meters that can be configured for iso 3200.. you might have to compensate a few stops manually.

i already have a film camera...however, with sports, it becomes exspensive. and since these are only going to a local paper and a yearbook, its not worth the cost at this point in time...

thanks again everyone for your help. and torus, im definitly going to look fo those moments at the next game!

Most reactions

Back