Troubleshoot: Field Monitor with Nikon D5100

dalejschneider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm using a Neewer 7" HDMI Field Monitor with my Nikon D5100 and am having a bit of trouble with the Live View working as intended. As you probably know, video is only possible while in the live view mode (where the screen shows you what you would be seeing through the viewfinder).

The monitor works great for pulling focus and viewing the live view on a larger screen, however as soon as I hit the record button the monitor goes black and the feed gets re-routed back to the camera live view display. As soon as I hit stop, then the feed resumes on the monitor.

I'd like to figure out how to keep the live view coming through the monitor the whole time while the camera is recording so that I don't have to use the tiny screen to make sure everything looks good as I'm panning and such.

I know that it's possible, as I've done it by using my phone as a monitor, though that may be due to the phone capabilities. In that case, there was an app I used that worked by taking over control of the camera settings and giving you a live feed (which I didn't like because I couldn't lock my ISO with the app and made for really jumpy lighting when panning).

Does anyone know how to make this work with the field monitor? Preferably I could just mirror exactly what the camera screen displays to the monitor, and retain controls within the camera.

Hi Dale, I have the same issue. Were you able to solve the problem on not seeing your images on the field monitor when shooting video from your Nikon 5100?
Cheers
Neville

It might be the same for Nikon as for my Pentax DSLR. It will review images via the HDMI cable but not show live-view that way.
The mirrorless cameras I've tried it on work fine but they have much less need for it:BangHead:

Focus peaking after the shot's been taken isn't really much help!

Most reactions

Back