trucks

BGeise

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my wife and i have been looking at getting a truck and it just so happens her grandpa is trying to sell his 2004 ford f350 diesel crew cab dually with less than 40000 miles and he is asking less than 16000. I am all for getting the truck but the only aversion i have to it is it has a 6.0L diesel which i guess ford had some problems with. I want to know what you guys think should i buy the truck knowing the risks. Or spend 45000 on a truck that will be less of a truck but newer?

Top-end rebuild will run you $2500 - 3500 in a shop, or about $1K in your driveway, so if you're good with factoring that in, I would say it's a good deal. Not all of the 6.0l had issues, but when they do, it's serious.

Why do you need such a big truck?

Small crank? ;)

be better off with a 7.3 imo.
But as mentioned, they didn't all have issues it is rolling the dice for major failures (head bolts, turbo, injectors). what do you need a truck for would be my question. The maintenance on a 6.0 wont be cheap they have a reputation for being high maint. and prone to issues. it isn't just the price of this truck but the maint. you have to look at. And If you cant afford to put three k in it if a problem arises.........

personally, i have never owned 6.0 but i do know someone that ripped one out of his truck and replaced it with a Cummins he was so sick of it breaking down.

If it has less than 40k the price is amazing. The 6 liter has had issues but generally people are also the cause of said issues. They modify their trucks without doing the prerequisite work to support the modifications they use. Also it's best if you know the previous owner as you do with this truck. Diesels are a lot about the previous owner and their treatment of the vehicle.

Honestly I would jump on the deal. I have a 7.3L and it rocks and I have plenty of friends and family with 6.0's. They are pretty solid when taken care of and treated correctly.

... but generally people are also the cause of said issues... ...They are pretty solid when taken care of and treated correctly.
I'd disagree with you there; the 6.0 is just overall a bad design. The whole concept of hydraulic injectors run off of main sump lube oil is daft in a small truck engine IMO. That said, if you're relegious about changing the oil (all 18 l of it, if IIRC) and filters and doing all of the other engine compartment maintenance...

... but generally people are also the cause of said issues... ...They are pretty solid when taken care of and treated correctly.
I'd disagree with you there; the 6.0 is just overall a bad design. The whole concept of hydraulic injectors run off of main sump lube oil is daft in a small truck engine IMO. That said, if you're relegious about changing the oil (all 18 l of it, if IIRC) and filters and doing all of the other engine compartment maintenance...
i thought the price was good. The year made me pause. wasn't 2004 one of the worst years for the "problems" and considered one of the lemon years? Not so sure i would jump on it. The price is without whatever $ and headache are thrown on top. Be a tough call.

Yeah i think if the truck was a 7.3 i would have no problems jumping on the deal. We really don't need that much of a truck right now but we have been talking about getting some horses in the future and that truck would sure have no problems pulling just about any trailer i throw behind it plus it has a removable fifth wheel bar ready to go in the bed. I guess i could just buy it and drive it for awhile and trade up later.

Yeah i think if the truck was a 7.3 i would have no problems jumping on the deal. We really don't need that much of a truck right now but we have been talking about getting some horses in the future and that truck would sure have no problems pulling just about any trailer i throw behind it plus it has a removable fifth wheel bar ready to go in the bed. I guess i could just buy it and drive it for awhile and trade up later.

Buy a car for what you do 99% of the time, not the 1%.

I would love a truck for the odd dump run or when I buy a couch etc.. but 99% of the time I am driving long distances on the highway or side road so a big truck would be super expensive to run.

Buy a car for what you do 99% of the time, not the 1%.

I would love a truck for the odd dump run or when I buy a couch etc.. but 99% of the time I am driving long distances on the highway or side road so a big truck would be super expensive to run.
bingo. i drive a Nissan 90 percent of the time the trucks stay parked. it gets 38 mpg highway. It is also much easier to find a place to park with when i go into the city.

bingo. i drive a Nissan 90 percent of the time the trucks stay parked. it gets 38 mpg highway. It is also much easier to find a place to park with when i go into the city.

Yeah i have a Honda civic, Honda cr-v and a Nissan pathfinder that we drive for commuting and such so the truck would just be for hauling and pulling not a daily driver.

Yeah i have a Honda civic, Honda cr-v and a Nissan pathfinder that we drive for commuting and such so the truck would just be for hauling and pulling not a daily driver.

Well in that case I wouldn't spend a penny over 10k.

The price isn't bad for that year with those miles. I've seen similar 2004 F350's with triple the miles going for $17,000.00. It's always handy to have a truck and that's a good price, but do you need that much truck? My half ton with towing package including HD transmission and rear end is plenty enough for a 2 horse trailer and can handle a 4 horse. If your looking to pull a 6 horse then you need at least a 3/4 or the 1 ton. Keep in mind that while diesel gets better fuel mileage than a gas engine, diesel's do not sit unused as well as gas engines do. You will want to drive it on the weekends at least.

The price isn't bad for that year with those miles. I've seen similar 2004 F350's with triple the miles going for $17,000.00. It's always handy to have a truck and that's a good price, but do you need that much truck? My half ton with towing package including HD transmission and rear end is plenty enough for a 2 horse trailer and can handle a 4 horse. If your looking to pull a 6 horse then you need at least a 3/4 or the 1 ton. Keep in mind that while diesel gets better fuel mileage than a gas engine, diesel's do not sit unused as well as gas engines do. You will want to drive it on the weekends at least.

The answer is no i don't need that much truck, but the truck is a good price, i know where its coming from and if nothing else it should hold some resale or trade value until we can get something different. I don't think i am going to find anything that will be at least a 3/4 tongo that price range that will be nearly as clean of a truck

The answer is no i don't need that much truck, but the truck is a good price, i know where its coming from and if nothing else it should hold some resale or trade value until we can get something different. I don't think i am going to find anything that will be at least a 3/4 tongo that price range that will be nearly as clean of a truck
there ya go then. you know what you are getting in to. You are a educated consumer. buy it up. it does appear to be a good deal...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back