Trying to decide on a flash

Let me say this. I've been taking flash photos for a long time. The best thing to do for the kind of photos you want is to put the flash in the hot shoe on top of the camera,zoom it to a telephoto setting, and bounce the flash off of walls or the ceiling, and possibly off of the small bounce card that is built into the flash, and in this way take good fast easy, and decently lighted photos of the grandbaby. There is no need for off-camera flash, or umbrellas, or a flash trigger, because you will have the flash in the hot shoe, and in this way you can easily aim the flash where it needs to be aimed at. With the flash zoomed to a telephoto length, such as 85mm, the bounce flash will be quite powerful, yet soft. Triggers are not needed. You're getting bad advice, from people who are thinking about their more-advanced flash set-ips and uses. What you want to shoot are very simple,quick, yet well-lighted family photos of an 18 month old, and the easiest way to do that is with a bounced flashlicated directly in the camera's hot shoe, ergo there is absolutely zero need for any type of trigger. You don't want a manual-only flash, you want one that has TTL capability. Spend $100-$150, and you will have an excellent flash.you do not need the most expensive flash, but you also do not want the very lowest priced one. A speedlight type flash that is manual-only is most likely a cheap unit.

Let me say this. I've been taking flash photos for a long time. The best thing to do for the kind of photos you want is to put the flash in the hot shoe on top of the camera,zoom it to a telephoto setting, and bounce the flash off of walls or the ceiling, and possibly off of the small bounce card that is built into the flash, and in this way take good fast easy, and decently lighted photos of the grandbaby. There is no need for off-camera flash, or umbrellas, or a flash trigger, because you will have the flash in the hot shoe, and in this way you can easily aim the flash where it needs to be aimed at. With the flash zoomed to a telephoto length, such as 85mm, the bounce flash will be quite powerful, yet soft. Triggers are not needed. You're getting bad advice, from people who are thinking about their more-advanced flash set-ips and uses. What you want to shoot are very simple,quick, yet well-lighted family photos of an 18 month old, and the easiest way to do that is with a bounced flashlicated directly in the camera's hot shoe, ergo there is absolutely zero need for any type of trigger. You don't want a manual-only flash, you want one that has TTL capability. Spend $100-$150, and you will have an excellent flash.you do not need the most expensive flash, but you also do not want the very lowest priced one. A speedlight type flash that is manual-only is most likely a cheap unit.

I think we're just thinking if she has any plans to branch out, it would be better to invest in a basic OCF system to begin with. But if she has no intentions of that, then I think what you recommended is just fine.

I really appreciate all the advice so much !
You all have been really helpful
I’m fine with spending $110 for that flash.
As far as branching out if you mean as a side business I doubt I’d have the talents for that , however I do enjoy taking pics !
I don’t know what a trigger is or what it’s for lol

I really appreciate all the advice so much !
You all have been really helpful
I’m fine with spending $110 for that flash.
As far as branching out if you mean as a side business I doubt I’d have the talents for that , however I do enjoy taking pics !
I don’t know what a trigger is or what it’s for lol

A trigger allows you to activate your flash remotely, usually used on a light stand with an umbrella or similar modifier. It's useful for portraits and that kind of thing, when using the flash on-camera may not be as optimal. These are all things you'll learn with time, if it's something you continued to pursue and learn about. And it doesn't have to be a side business; you may simply enjoy doing more for the art of it. And nothing wrong with not doing that either.

you should see all the remote flash cat pictures i take...

you should see all the remote flash cat pictures i take...
I’d like to! Are they in the gallery?
I took some of one of my dogs the other day .

Oh dear, getting ready to seal the deal on that Godox flash on amazon but I noticed it says compatible with E TTL but my camera says it’s I ttl ! Is it going to work !? It lists many canon cameras but my model (sl2) isn’t one of them ... now idk what to do

Whichever system I use is superior to all the others' faulty recommendations.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back