trying to get it straight

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let me see if I understand this about the critique place.... There is a space to ask how do I make this sky green ie technical section...

And a section that is going to be circles and arrows on the image ie indepth critique...

I think I understand that, so I suppose the galleries will be used for peer to peer critique. In other words if I just want a bunch of other photographer's opinions, I just stick it in say people and pets and ask for peer critique and comments.

I am NOT being a smart ass here... I find those the most useful... I'm old I can't remember more than one thing at a time. If I read ten different comments and each one makes a point some of them will stick. One long critique just shuts me down.

Response to the body of your posting."trying to get it straight"

Yes, the Specific Technical Forum is for pix that are in-process and where there is a technical issue or compositional the poster would like addressed.
The new General Critique is for finished images. Responses should be substantive, in actual response to the image posted and not just expressions of like/dislike.

Response to the title of your posting:"trying to get it straight"
If it is not straight at your age, it is probably an anatomical variation or physiologic insufficiency of some sort. It is not uncommon, but there are drugs that do wonders.

If all else fails, there are medical clinics in Thailand that, I've heard, do wonders. Good luck.

This is not

Response to responce..

Response to the title of your posting:"trying to get it straight"
If it is not straight at your age, it is probably an anatomical variation or physiologic insufficiency of some sort. It is not uncommon, but there are drugs that do wonders.

If all else fails, there are medical clinics in Thailand that, I've heard, do wonders. Good luck.

It is indeed anatomical I have a brain tumor that is inoperable and is compressing my brain tissue. Makes memory and clear thought difficult sometimes.

I think I got the jist of it now. I do appreciate you clarifying it for me. So the peer to peer critique that went on in the critique thread up untill today will be available where?

I assume in the gallery section, but since you forgot to explain that part I'm not so sure. You seemed to be far to busy defending something that wasn't under attack.

I was making a joke about something being bent but I guess excessive subtlety defeats itself.

The current critique is supposed to be for specific technical issues will go on in the Forum named for that. The new addition will be for finished images and the new guidelines will mean that responses need to be substantive.

Not a problem I think I understand the new set up in there. It seems to really be going back to the old days and that's fine.

The peer to peer simple one thought critique. Ie the colors are wrong, it should be like this, is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Or your subject isn't interesting at all ect... These are not indepth critiques, the are simple peer to peer suggestion type critiques. It's what I'm interested in not 'indepth' critique.

I am assuming those will be in the galleries only. That was really the 'I don't quite have it straight remark.' I can live with the new gallery rules no problem, since I'm not looking for indepth critique I will just stick my stuff where I can have someone give me a simple impression of what they see. Ie too dark to light, why the hell did you include that tree ect.

I seem to remember that the Critique Forum was specifically for people who had a problem with a particular image. Something they are trying to achieve and can't quite pull off; an image they are not sure about and can't quite figure out where the problem is - that sort of thing.
An area where people can get help and advice on a specific problem with a specific image. Not somewhere to post if you just want general comments. The re-written guidelines still make this clear and state that posters should be clear and specific about what they actually want help with.
I also seem to remember that it was at one time 'policed' with considerable zeal... :lol:

I think that's what I said more or less Hertz. But since I shoot for people not museums, I like the more generalized comments that peer to peer critique gives.

I personally would like to have seen a p/p critique like went on in the critique spot before the new guidelines, but in a place of it's own. I have no problem with people going to the critique section for the purposes mentioned. I agree that it is a good idea. There are photographers here who want and need that kind of critique to reach their potential whatever that might be.

I just hate to see the less formal critique take such a hit. It's like saying there is no need or value in peer to peer critique. I would disagree most vehemently. Most of us will be shooting for our friends and family and a customer now and then. These are all people and it's good to have the opinions of just plain people. Here the opinions are a little more helpful than Aunt Sally's. Most of us have some understanding more than that, it just feels wrong.

I hope that kind of critique doesn't dry up since it really is the kind of critique I listen to best. I hope it continues at least in the galleries, though I have to admit poeple post in the galleries for so many reasons it's hard to know what a person wants. Do they want help or just to say, Look ma see what I can do. Will they be offended by a different composition look, some are you know, or will they say hey thanks I had my reasons for doing that but I do see what you mean. In a Gallery my guess is you have a mix of people.

Oh well what do I know. Maybe someone will actually edit one of my shots one day. They can always use it.

The new Critique Forum isn't intended to diminish the peer-to-peer critique but actually to encourage it by asking every responder to actually look at the picture presented and say something more than "I like it." If you read the guidelines, there is nothing more stringent than that.

Our approach will be somewhat different. There will be distinctly separate areas for both technical assistance on works in progress, as well as a forum exclusively for in-depth critiques on finished work only.

Each one is here to foster your growth as photographers. There are guidelines posted in each forum, to help you learn how to use them. When you first visit, please read all guidelines before you begin posting. Adhere to them, for they will be strictly enforced.

This is what I am refering to. A full in depth critique isn't what I think of as peer to peer. I think of peer to peer as the critique that was happening before the change. As I have said before the full indepth with pictures and full explainations are things some folks will want im sure. In my case a simple I think you should have cut the tree off on the right or you might want to lighten it up, will do just fine. Even better if someone would show me an example of what they mean without going into great detail.

It's the in depth that I think would keep me out. I mostly want to know how people who have a bit of photographic knowledge see what I'm doing. The experts have a place, it's just not what I'm looking for. I suppose the galleries are the best place for folks like me. I accept that.

Just wanted to make my voice heard. I want make sure that people who feel they are not experts continue to have a voice. Those are the voices of the people who are most closely in touch with those who actually BUY my pictures. I have never sold a shot to a museum yet. I don't expect to at this late date.

I value the average guy's opinion of what I shoot. The average guy and gal have always been my customers. Since i will be back in business in a limited way on Thursday, I am very curious about how people see what I shoot from this point on. Business or pleasure what I shoot will be back in the GB (general business) mind set. I would expect whatever I shoot to be acceptable for use by the subject for the intended purpose. If I need to do something to make that the case, I sure want to know about it. I just don't feel I need to know every nuance of the image.

Honest to god I am not being argumentative just to be difficult. I seriously want the average member to make comments and suggestions on my images. Even if I don't agree, I want to hear them. To me that isn't the same as "Gee ma, look what I can do." but that's okay. I'm sure if I make it part of the post I can still get that in the general galleries.

Ps where is hertz.. I expected him to jump all over me on this by now....

I value the average guy's opinion of what I shoot. The average guy and gal have always been my customers. Since i will be back in business in a limited way on Thursday, I am very curious about how people see what I shoot from this point on. Business or pleasure what I shoot will be back in the GB (general business) mind set. I would expect whatever I shoot to be acceptable for use by the subject for the intended purpose. If I need to do something to make that the case, I sure want to know about it. I just don't feel I need to know every nuance of the image.
Lots of members feel exactly like this, Charlie. The general Galleries will be best suited for this kind of feedback. Each gallery's definition encourages "general critique".

It's the in depth that I think would keep me out. I mostly want to know how people who have a bit of photographic knowledge see what I'm doing. The experts have a place, it's just not what I'm looking for. I suppose the galleries are the best place for folks like me. I accept that.
If you ever had an image you wanted an in-depth critique on, there is now going to be a forum dedicated for that. You may not wish to participate in there, but if you should, it's now available.

The feedback and suggestions we've received about the Critique forum have been mostly about the need for a clear, strongly defined separation of two approaches to critique you outlined above.

We're hoping it addresses these issues as well as becoming an exceptional educational resource. :)

See now that is an open and honest answer no tap dancing around it. Thanks terri. Of course I think there should be a different place for look what I can do ma shots but that's just one lil ole opinion.

thanks again now I understand completely....

See now that is an open and honest answer no tap dancing around it. Thanks terri. Of course I think there should be a different place for look what I can do ma shots but that's just one lil ole opinion.

I think a reluctance to participate in the general galleries, both on asking for a general critique, and failing to provide a general critique when one is asked for (C&C appeciated) is what fills the critique section with either 'How'm I doin', or thinly veiled 'How'm I doin' shots.

I think the new addition/modifications will be helpful, but will end up meaningless unless the galleries have some honest participation.

IMO.

I'm way too clumsy to try to tap dance; I do open and honest out of fear of broken bones. :mrgreen:

I think the new addition/modifications will be helpful, but will end up meaningless unless the galleries have some honest participation.
abraxas: that is a good observation. Only our members can drive that particular bus. :) It will be interesting to see what we get!

Most reactions

Back