Trying to get serious. Any constructive criticism for these photos??

Missy.a.Wilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm trying to get serious with the photography thing and improving my skills. Would like to start my own small business, but would like to get solid shots consistently before I attempt it. Would welcome any criticism you have of the following photos. Thanks in advance! Anything in particular I think I could use to improve on such as white balance, composition, etc.

missy $image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

They're good - as you say some wb issues to sort and the crop on 2 could be better. The dutch tilt in the bw adds an interesting twist to the background.

Welcome! Yes, white balance and composition need improvement.

There are too many for detailed critique, and they're not numbered, but in general, I'd say keep working on your composition. Things like WB can be learned as you go, but if you don't have a shot that is well composed, there is not much fixing it later.

Ways to improve white balance? Any good books you can suggest? Thanks!

I can highly recommend shooting in RAW, getting a good editor and watching lots of YouTube vids on colour correction.

I can highly recommend shooting in RAW, getting a good editor and watching lots of YouTube vids on colour correction.

Nah, WB is no secret. Shoot in Auto white balance and tweak in post if needed. The secret is the white should look white, not any other color.

I agree, composition, and thinking about the backgrounds and how you're framing shots. Looks like you still need a lot of practice to get to a level of professional quality that needs to be on a consistent basis before starting this as a business.

Nah, WB is no secret. Shoot in Auto white balance and tweak in post if needed. The secret is the white should look white, not any other color.

I agree except for the auto white balance. It does a good enough job, but if you're going to be shooting in different types of light and editing all at one time, you're better off to set a CWB for each light setting.

Again, composition. Learn it, live it, love it.

Auto white balance often does not do a good job, unless you have a higher end DSLR camera.
If you have mixed lighting to contend with even the high end DSLR camera's auto white balance won't work very well.

But, it is best to understand white balance for those times auto can't/doesn't get it done.
Understanding White Balance

I generally like your approach but compare (1 of 8) and (2 of 8): 2 of 8 is the better picture but sacrifices foreground for a superfluous (overhead) background. 4 of 8 as well, if it wasn't as tightly framed. 6 of 8 - a fraction off the top could have better used at the foot of the picture. 2 of 8 would benefit from an aggressive crop left and top, and maybe a bit off the right side too.

Most reactions

Back