Trying to learn working with RAW, help

a1157814a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I took a photo on my Nikon in RAW. When I transferred to the computer, it was in NEF filetype. I downloaded RawShooter but it keeps saying there is no RAW file in the folder that I had the photo. Is it supposed to be in NEF filetype?
Why isn't it opening?

I took a photo on my Nikon in RAW. When I transferred to the computer, it was in NEF filetype. I downloaded RawShooter but it keeps saying there is no RAW file in the folder that I had the photo. Is it supposed to be in NEF filetype?
Why isn't it opening?

because there is differant types of raw formats.. your raw shooter might not support the .nef type. adobe lightroom will convert it for you.. so will photoshop

because there is differant types of raw formats.. your raw shooter might not support the .nef type. adobe lightroom will convert it for you.. so will photoshop

gotya, ill try to convert now. thanks

View NX is a free NEF viewer for Nikon cameras. It will handle your NEF files and allow you to convert them into JPEG.

More questions:
-This might seem a little stupid but are RAW files actually have filetype of .RAW at the end? os is it .DNG?

-Also, NEF itself is RAW file, right? it just that RawShooter cannot open? Which program opens NEF as RAW files then? (without having to convert)

Your problem is that RawShooter won't recognize Raw files from newer cameras...and it doesn't have an update because they were bought out by Adobe, some time ago.

As mentioned, each new camera's RAW files are slightly different, and the software must be updated for the new camera's files. Photoshop puts out updates every few months, to support the new cameras that have come out.

RawShooter is a great program, provided that you have an older camera (from before it was bought out). Somewhat similar (and probably a lot better) than RawShooter is Adobe Lightroom, you might consider that.

If you don't want to buy new software, then just use the program that came with your camera.

'RAW' is a generic term...but the actual file types/extensions are different for different cameras/companies. All Nikon RAW files are .NEF while Canon's Raw files are .CR2

More questions:
-This might seem a little stupid but are RAW files actually have filetype of .RAW at the end? os is it .DNG?

-Also, NEF itself is RAW file, right? it just that RawShooter cannot open? Which program opens NEF as RAW files then? (without having to convert)

yes. NEF is a RAW even thought its a .nef suffix. .dng is another type of raw that is readable by older versions of Adobe Photoshop (like mine 5.0 elements)

RAW file is just the generic name for the proprietary format each camera maker uses to record lossless uncompressed image data.

Also, not converting isn't neccessarily the best option as some programs will discard the in camera "editing" that is applied to RAW files. Adobe Lightroom has an update that renders this problem moot, but other editing programs still have this problem.

If you are just beginning to shoot with digital equipment, I suggest you shoot in JPEG Fine, which can easily be handled by any Adobe Photo Elements 5.0 and newer. It is compressed but even with a 6.2 meg camera like the D70, you can easily make 11x14 prints. RAW format is really something Pros use when they need all the digital data their camera can give (like sports photographers). Working with RAW takes Adobe Photoshop 7.0 or newer (CS4 being the best) and these programs cost a lot of money.

Try shooting a subject in both formats and see if you can tell the difference when you get them opened on your computer and placed side by side on the monitor. If you can't tell the difference, save yourself a lot of grief and shoot in JPEG.

Good luck,
Michael P. Harker

Most reactions

Back