Tuesday's Soccer pics.

Tony S

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few shots from yesterday's game. Before the game there was a huge thunderstorm that rolled through with lightning and instant thunder, dropped an inch of hail on the ground in about 20 minutes and then turned to a downpour of rain. by the time the game started it had blown through with bright sunshine and a few passing clouds for the rest of the afternoon. Needless to say, the natural grass field was a swamp and made for some interesting plays. So here's a selection of shots from the game.

1. Machaela making the run towards the goal before scoring.

407754154.jpg

2. When you are one of the top players in the state and you just scored your third goal of the game sometimes you have to take a hit now and then.
407754155.jpg

3. Did I mention the field was slightly wet??
407754156.jpg

407754157.jpg

407754158.jpg

6. #21 is always looking to make contact with a player, she's the teams enforcer and field general.

407754159.jpg

407754160.jpg

8. #18 in white gets my award for "Tough Mudder" of the game. She spent more time in the wet stuff than anyone else. Wonder if those socks will ever be white again?
407754161.jpg

Yeah, some good shots. I liked the water splash shot....WOW...talk about soggy conditions.

Speaking of western Washington state and soggy conditions, I'm not sure that people from elsewhere across the USA realize just HOW very,very,very WET it can get in this region...take a look at this video of chum salmon in western Washington state...and, keep in mind, this is NOT the only video of its kind...this is also not "all that isolated" in occurrence...

Last edited by a moderator:
lol ... I was joking with the linesman at the game yesterday that the only thing missing on the field was salmon swimming upstream.

Nice shots! You captured the action well.
But man, why do they even play on a field in these conditions? Imagine what the field will look like next game, when's it's dry? Women and rough grass = ACL damage!

Is this a travel or high school team?

I've had many delayed games growing up (living in Florida and all) but they would just cancel it if the field was going to be destroyed in order to try and preserve it for the following game.

Yeah, some good shots. I liked the water splash shot....WOW...talk about soggy conditions.

Speaking of western Washington state and soggy conditions, I'm not sure that people from elsewhere across the USA realize just HOW very,very,very WET it can get in this region...take a look at this video of chum salmon in western Washington state...and, keep in mind, this is NOT the only video of its kind...this is also not "all that isolated" in occurrence...

Derrel, what's the limit? Do you need a fishing license, since you could just use a dip net?

OP, nice set of photos you have here.

Ronlane, you need a fishing license and have to be within the season for the closest flooding river. No net needed, you get all sporty and catch these by hand.

Ronlane, you need a fishing license and have to be within the season for the closest flooding river. No net needed, you get all sporty and catch these by hand.

That's only if you get caught ;) good to know though. I bet that would be interesting catching them by hand.

Nice shots! My only critique is with the first image--your highlights are a touch hot. What lens were you using? The background is blown out beautifully.

Regards,
Jake

Oh Derrel let's not be dramatic.. Not EVERYONE who lives here has gills! We prefer the term "marine mammals" lol

Orrrrrrr....if you have a dog....he can catch these road-bed chum salmon.

The dark green color and the "barring" pattern on these chum salmon is pretty normal when they are in their freshwater, spawning stage of life. Chum salmon normally spawn in small creeks, not in the mainstems of larger rivers, so when even small creeks flood in Washington, there can be chum salmon showing up in pastures and on rural roads and such. When bigger rivers flood, there can be a lot of displaced chum in nearby areas.

Orrrrrrr....if you have a dog....he can catch these road-bed chum salmon.

The dark green color and the "barring" pattern on these chum salmon is pretty normal when they are in their freshwater, spawning stage of life. Chum salmon normally spawn in small creeks, not in the mainstems of larger rivers, so when even small creeks flood in Washington, there can be chum salmon showing up in pastures and on rural roads and such. When bigger rivers flood, there can be a lot of displaced chum in nearby areas.

I see this and all I think is "There's dinner!"

Back to the soccer pics...one thing Tony knows how to do is where to set up in relation to the sun, and the action. These have good light falling on the faces, which provides good definition and delineation. Notice how nicely the light is falling on the players, based on where Tony has put himself? As an aside, I live in the PNW as well, and this year, the weather has been VERY rainy, and very "gray and blah" for the past three weeks, for the most part, except for a couple nice days and a few sun break periods once or twice a week or so. When we get it, autumn sunlight can be very beautiful, as Tony's pictures show

Nice shots! You captured the action well.
But man, why do they even play on a field in these conditions? Imagine what the field will look like next game, when's it's dry? Women and rough grass = ACL damage!

Is this a travel or high school team?

I've had many delayed games growing up (living in Florida and all) but they would just cancel it if the field was going to be destroyed in order to try and preserve it for the following game.

Many years ago, when I was married to a guy with Oregon roots, some of his family moved out here. One of the brothers-in-law was doing some gardening work for my grandmother, tilling up an area for okra. She looked out and saw that it was raining and hollered at him to come in. She told him to just wait till it stopped raining to finish. He responded, "Ma'am, where I'm from, if you don't work while it's raining, you don't work." :lol: I suspect out there, it's also true of sports--if you don't play in soggy conditions, you won't get a lot of games in.

My youngest son was NEVER happier than when his team got to play on wet, muddy field. I need to find the picture of him I took after one particular game. He was covered in mud from head to toe--and I don't think he touched the ball ONE time the whole game! :lmao:

Tony: Excellent shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back