Tungsten Hills, CA

EasternSierra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kingofcolubrids.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went out and played around for the first time with the monotone feature of my camera. I had a really good time! It's really cool having this feature and being able to shoot in B&W or color from picture to picture. I'm gonna have to use this more often...

Anyhow...Your tips and input are ALWAYS appreciated!

bw-tree1.jpg

f/9; 1/500; ISO 100

bw-sierras.jpg

f/9; 1/640; ISO 100

bw-mt-tom.jpg

f/9; 1/500; ISO 100

I was using a Zuiko 40-150mm zoom on an E-520.

I like the pictures but i think they could benefit with some more contrast, using photoshop you can just boost the contrast a little, to me they just seem like they are all sort of the same middle gray tone throughout the photo. I like the last shot though, it makes me want to go to the mountains

I agree with the contrast comment. You know that most post processing programs (i.e. Photoshop) have a feature to convert from color to B&W. By using that feature and converting in post, you'll have both a color and a B&W.

Gary

Yeah when i was looking for a dslr a posted a question regarding the camera i wanted didnt have a black and white function built in, but everyone says you should always shoot color then convert. You'll have more control over your photo that way

Like any other art form...there is no "you should always...". I prefer to shoot in monotone, because you can also get degraded image quality during greyscale conversions.

If I *must* have a color copy...I switch my camera to capture in RAW, and set it to record both color AND monotone. It's just a couple pushes of a button. It takes a TON of room on the memory card...but gives me both monotone and color in RAW format...

Thanks for the contrast advice, though! I do appreciate it...

I shoot a ton of B&W and haven't noticed any degradation from converting in post. (Then again I haven't looked for it and tested for it.)

But, (the big but), one reason for shooting in RAW is that processing power of a computer is superior to the processing power of the camera. Using that thinking I'd still think that B&W conversion in post is the way to go.

Gary

Most reactions

Back