"We are gathered here to"
CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK
"witness the"
"marrage of Holly"
"SHUTUP AT THE BACK!!!"

LOL I love it.

At a wedding 2 weeks ago I was asked not to move at all - and not to use a flash. I was told that once people were seated I was to stay behind the pews, off to the side, and not to move...

This is precisely why I refuse to get married in a church and will be refusing to do anymore wedding at less than an elevated cost if these things are going to be issues....

..oh, and it was a small Methodist chapel ON THE BEACH - you'd think they'd be more laid back that that

Overread is right.... It is his church and most photographers I have seen do their best to work within their comfort zone. This includes bringing the parties together prior and discussing what is permitted and not permitted. Remember, religious marriage is a privilege extended to the couple by permission of the church. The church is NOT the bride and grooms servant or hired service. This is a holy church not some paid chapel in Las Vegas.

One wedding I shot did not allow ANY photography during the ceremony... it was considered disrespectful. The head photographer worked it out with the church to finish the ceremony without cameras and then perform a reenactment afterwards. It actually worked out wonderfully as the photographer had full control during the reenactment and even was allowed to set up some lighting (umbrellas and strobes).

I understand that notion that it IS their church, but much of the rules against photographers has more to do with them responding to a history of a**holes than it does how you individually do your thing. Re-enactments are nice last resort compromises but then become symbols of the day, not a capture of the day itself. Yeah, you might be able to get "cooler" shots through re-enactment because of the control, but the photographer's prime agenda is the couple not their own portfolio. Most people aren't actors, so having them redo their emotions likely won't be nearly the same. Whether it's okay has more to do with what style the couple is looking for.

Most reactions

Back