Two from my trip to the Bahamas, let me know what you think!

Turkasaurus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
D3100 40mm 2.8 Macro unedited

$Giant Hermitt.jpg

$Hermitt.jpg

I like your angles, your lighting, and exposures are great, but your depth of field was tragically too thin.

When shooting close-up shots, the depth of field (at such close focusing distances) is deceptively narrow. You end up having to use f-stops that are much higher than you might guess. Don't feel too bad... I personally botched a lot of close-up shots learning that lesson myself. When shooting so close, stay away from the low f-stops.

I like both shots especially the last one. But like Tim said, watch out for shallow depth of field. I also learned my lesson the hard way with my 85mm 1.8 lens shooting wide open.

I know! I wish I shot at different apertures, its too bad really. What aperture do you think would have been better?

1) 1/500 F8 ISO 100 40mm
2) 1/250 F8 ISO 100 40mm

I know! I wish I shot at different apertures, its too bad really. What aperture do you think would have been better?

1) 1/500 F8 ISO 100 40mm
2) 1/250 F8 ISO 100 40mm

You didn't change the apertures there. Option 2 is a stop less shutter speed than option 1. Personally, I always shoot at f/16 for macro stuff unless I'm intentionally trying to blur things. The DoF is just crazy thin.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Beautiful hermit crabs! nr2 would have been perfect with a bigger aperture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back