Two Lenses (28-80 + 70-300) or just one (28-200)?

lizzie_bell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Nikon D90 kit, and I have two options:

One that comes with two lenses:
- Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G Autofocus Nikkor Lens
- Nikon 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 ED D Lens

And the other that comes with just one:
- Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF Nikkor Lens

I'm a recreational photographer. I took some classes and I'm looking forward to get better at taking pictures. I like to travel a lot and to take pictures while I do it.

Which of the options would be better for me??

I would say the kit with the 28-80 and 70-300. That gives you extra reach should you need it. Also, the 28-80 is sort of a hidden gem. I have one and I absolutely adore it. Its a cheap lens, but takes phenominal photos. The lens is ridiculously sharp. I would buy the lens again 10x over. I have owned the 70-300G before, never the D model, but that lens was good for what it was good for also. Many people own it, and it will work well for general photos where you dont need super crisp pictures. I would think that the two-lens deal would give you better photos overall than the 28-200 anyday.

Mark

Zoom lenses are a convenience. Being a convenience, they are also a compromise. One of the greatest compromises is in image quality. The larger the zoom range, the greater the compromise in image quality.

You also compromise on speed. There are no f1.2, f1.4 lenses on the market. They generally start at f2.8 an are expensive with shorter zoom ranges such as 70-200. Fast glass and sharper images in general.

The decision really comes down to what you want, convenience or image quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back