C&C per req:
I like your poses and compositon but to be honest, the soft-focus vignette is wearing a little thin. It's rather like using selective colouring in every image; it's nice, but not, IMO, an every-day technique.
In #1 it looks like you've missed the focus; I can't find a sharp point anywhere in the image. As well, the hand in the lower RH corner is a bit distracting as are the double catch lights in the eyes.
#2 seems a touch over-exposed and over-processed; her skin looks more like porcelain than skin.
Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.
~John
Hi! Thanks for your comments =)
First, I want to note, that I apologize for the repetitiveness of my posts lately. I hope you don't get the impression that the overall soft image/ vignette is representative of all my work. It's something in particular that I do like, however, and I want to "get it down" before moving on to the next style.. and I've been posting my attempts to get it looking workable or not too overdone.
The first image, I agree, wasn't as sharp as I would have liked. I was hoping that by softening everything but the eyes it would still be workable, but if I was to go back and re-do it, I'd try to get some better light so I could shoot with a bit faster shutter speed.. especially for my very active/moving little boy
The second, I felt like I got the sharpness I wanted.. And I gave the light a little more thought. I placed my baby near a window with a sheer curtain, and angled her so that it was about 45 degrees to the side of her.. Then tried to get her to look slightly up so she'd get some nice catchlights in her eyes.. As far as the initial image, I was really happy with this one.
But I think I agree in giving it some more thought.. the skin is a little more processed than I normally like. Her baby skin was already so soft in the original image, that I think even a little bit of touching up made it too much. But I love her eyes in this one.. Maybe I"ll play with another edit a bit more and see if I can get it to still be more natural.
I appreciate your taking the time to respond..and for putting up with the very similar pictures lately =P I promise, once I get more comfortable with this I'll go back to posting more varried shots
