Two possible set-ups. Nikon v. Canon.

mimstrel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the next two weeks I will be ordering a camera. My dad got his D5000 from Adorama, along with a couple of lenses and accessories.
Unfortunately my current price ceiling is around $1000. I'm literally breaking the bank for that much (recent college grad planning on grad school... ie I have no money... I've saved all summer for this!)

Nikon vs. Canon

NIKON

I'm looking at the D90.
I'm considering saving a little bit of money by purchasing a refurbished camera from Adorama. A refurbed body costs $800, and an inexpensive 55-200mm or 70-300mm lens would run me $150, and possibly a couple of other accessories.
I'm trying to get a little bit higher end of a body that will keep me happy for a little longer, and then sacrifice on the lens for the moment. On the other hand, I know that I will be unhappy with a lens that doesn't go to at least 105mm.
With Nikon, I can borrow dad's lenses when I'm around home. But I won't be around home that much.

CANON

Looking at the XSi. I can get a full kit for under $800 from Adorama (with an 18-55mm kit lens and accesories), or if I went with one thats been refurbed, I could get the same camera and lens for $550. Either way, I can get a second lens and some accessories.

I think I would be happy with either system. My first digital p&s is a Canon Elph which has survived the humidity and mud of the amazon, rough treatment rock climbing and caving, and has been to nearly as many continents as I have. It grinds when it turns on and the view/vid/camera switch is dying, but it still takes great photos. My dad is a Nikon man and I've used Nikon cameras before too and have been pleased with them.

I don't want to go with the lowest end bodies, but I can't afford better ones right now (but I NEED a functional digital camera RIGHT NOW).

I know I may be opening a can of worms asking for Canon v. Nikon advice, but...

What are the pros and cons of each of these set ups? I'm really leaning towards the Canon at the moment. I may someday add a Nikon system to my collection even if I get the Canon now, but the price tag on the Canon really is tempting, considering that I could definitely get a second lens and maybe a BETTER lens.

Also, the review of the refurbed kits on Adorama look really good. What do you all think? (Remember, this is a For-Future-Upgrade system to get me happily through grad school)

Thanks in advance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back