Two Shots of Niagara Falls in the Winter

Deeger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been shooting for 2 months now and have a serious passion for nature and landscape photography.

Here is two shots from Niagara Falls in the winter, what do you think?

$Niagara River.jpg$Winter Falls.jpg

Thanks, DJ

How about giving us permission to edit your photos?

ceeboy14 said:
How about giving us permission to edit your photos?

Why would I do that? I'm not understanding

Most people consider this a learning site, and posters sometimes make edits as a way to show the OP how they would do the edit.

Of course, if you already know everything, then your edit is as good as it gets.

What I am having a difficult time in understand is, did you intentionally destaturate most of the color only leaving the green, or did you mis-set your color balance. I don't have enough information other than the shot itself to make a decided comment upon other than as it sits, it's not there for me - but it could be.

Designer said:
Of course, if you already know everything, then your edit is as good as it gets.

What? ^ Lol holy smart. All I was asking is why I would let someone edit the already edited photo? I didn't understnd. I never said my edit was as good as it will get.

It seems I have only ever had smart ass feedback this this in this site.

Defiantly not a great learning site when *******s like you make me feel stupid.

I like the leading line in the first shot, but it feels truncated, you cut off the falls. The depth looks good, but to make this vantage point shine you would have to take multiple photos and stitch them together as a panorama. Then you would get the river going off to the distance as well as the waterfall.

This photo has several other flaws, but this is the vista I would want to see in your photo: http://chasingtimemedia.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/panorama-niagarafalls2.jpg

Your second shot has great weather for a moody shot, and the ice on the plants is great. However your composition is split, you dont give the viewer a focus since its pulling between the plants and the falls. I can see you put some thought into how the plant overlapped the shore, but for this shot choose what you want to focus on. When in doubt it almost never hurts to simplify.

Designer said:

What? ^ Lol holy smart. All I was asking is why I would let someone edit the already edited photo? I didn't understnd. I never said my edit was as good as it will get.

Everyone settle. Deeger if you want help, allow edits as it can only benefit you.

Yet somehow other posters receive valuable feedback. Go figure.

Designer said:

Everyone settle. Deeger if you want help, allow edits as it can only benefit you.

Or don't. They are, after all, your photographs to do with as you please.

Many people here feel that they cannot provide adequate comment and critique, or that their critique is limited, by not being able to manipulate the photographs to SHOW how a change to a photograph would help it as opposed to trying to explain it. It is much more difficult to do because, as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. What they can show in a few quick edits might be difficult to explain with words, or in fact might not even provide an adequate explanation.

This is what the people above were trying to say, however coming right out and asking for permission to edit the OP's photo without a single word of explanation is, in my opinion, quite rude.

OP, they ARE your photos. YOU decide whether or not you want people to be able to edit them to show how to improve them. I personally prefer a one-off "Ask and you will probably receive" alternative. If you ask me in a topic for permission to edit one of my photos I will most likely give it. I have also seen comments in signatures along the lines of "My photographs may be edited for comment and critique purposes only." (wording varies).

You decide what you want to do but that was the reasoning behind the comments.

Rather than to respond to what you consider negativity, respond to that which you feel helps you. Allowing your images to be edited, even after your own edits, gives others a chance to explore your image from a variety of PP points. Did you set your black and white points correctly. Is there clipping taking place, what does your histogram look like, is the image distorted, awkwardly tilted, etc. etc. etc. I grow from every edit anyone has made on one of my images, even if i don't agree with the edit.

SCraig said:
Or don't. They are, after all, your photographs to do with as you please.

Many people here feel that they cannot provide adequate comment and critique, or that their critique is limited, by not being able to manipulate the photographs to SHOW how a change to a photograph would help it as opposed to trying to explain it. It is much more difficult to do because, as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. What they can show in a few quick edits might be difficult to explain with words, or in fact might not even provide an adequate explanation.

This is what the people above were trying to say, however coming right out and asking for permission to edit the OP's photo without a single word of explanation is, in my opinion, quite rude.

OP, they ARE your photos. YOU decide whether or not you want people to be able to edit them to show how to improve them. I personally prefer a one-off "Ask and you will probably receive" alternative. If you ask me in a topic for permission to edit one of my photos I will most likely give it. I have also seen comments in signatures along the lines of "My photographs may be edited for comment and critique purposes only." (wording varies).

You decide what you want to do but that was the reasoning behind the comments.

This is very good feedback. Thank you for helping me understand.

I defiantly would grant permission to a photo to see what someone else's view would be in the shot. Doesn't mean I would take that feedback.

Again great post and thanks for the understanding.

spacefuzz said:
I like the leading line in the first shot, but it feels truncated, you cut off the falls. The depth looks good, but to make this vantage point shine you would have to take multiple photos and stitch them together as a panorama. Then you would get the river going off to the distance as well as the waterfall.

This photo has several other flaws, but this is the vista I would want to see in your photo: http://chasingtimemedia.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/panorama-niagarafalls2.jpg

Your second shot has great weather for a moody shot, and the ice on the plants is great. However your composition is split, you dont give the viewer a focus since its pulling between the plants and the falls. I can see you put some thought into how the plant overlapped the shore, but for this shot choose what you want to focus on. When in doubt it almost never hurts to simplify.

The falls were completely fog and mist. Nothing to see at all on this date. I felt there was no need to photograph that.

This is very good feedback. Thank you for helping me understand.

I defiantly would grant permission to a photo to see what someone else's view would be in the shot. Doesn't mean I would take that feedback.

Again great post and thanks for the understanding.

Not a problem. I don't mind people editing my photos to show me how they can be improved, as long as they ask first. This forum only has settings for "Allow" and "Don't Allow", whereas some others have an "Ask" option. I would use an "Ask" option, but I've seen a couple of instances where people took some pretty absurd liberties with other member's photographs because they had that option set to "Yes".

The falls were completely fog and mist. Nothing to see at all on this date. I felt there was no need to photograph that.

I will disagree :) I know the mist around the falls is always changing, I may have camped out there a while and watched it for brief openings. It fading off half shrouded in mist would look awesome. Another option is to use a really long exposure and capture the patterns of movment in the clouds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back