Two texture B&W's for C&C

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took these today out on my deck. I was looking for textures, and these two were the only two I liked. Granted, the first one isn't actually a texture... I'd like to hear your C&C.

I decided on B&W for these, because I thought the actual colors were pretty drab and boring. I also can't help but feel like the coloration was a little off on number 1, but I'm not sure what needs to be corrected. Or maybe the detail on the leaf is a little too flat? I don't know, but something seems off.. It seems good when viewed independently, but then when side by side with number 2, the "off-ness" becomes apparent. They were both also just a tad soft at high crop. I blame my unsteady deck for that one, seeing as how it hangs out from the third floor.. On number 2, I'm a little worried I went a bit too high on the contrast. Anyway, thoughts?

1. Nikkor 105mm macro, f/22, 1/5 sec
6655562501_aaeee6c7e7_b.jpg

2. Nikkor 105mm macro, f/16, 1/15 sec
6655558035_da7c42d6b3_b.jpg

I would like to see more contrast on the first.

The contrast on the second is OK, but I am not too crazy about the whole image/subject.

Thanks for the feedback. After more thought, I'm thinking the composition in the first was a poor choice. The leaf was a single, flat tone with little contrast, and the board behind it was full of contrasty goodness... I wish it would have been the other way round.. As for the second, I see your point. I was trying to capture the texture, which to me is fascinating, and couldn't really think of any other way to compose said texture. Do you think there is a better way to capture that one, or just "no" all together?

You should try to emphasis the difference in contrast of the first shot.
It would be interesting to see a very contrasty background with a soft leaf on top of it.

With texture ... if you shoot straight down on top of it, you will flatten it.
Better to shoot at a different angle to get a more 3 dimensional view.

Some thoughts on first impressions -- in black and white images, which are usually, these days, the conversion of a colour image to a "grey scale" image, the things that make a B&W image stand out are usually the geometry of the elements in the image, and the tonal properties of the conversion. Good images tend to have fairly wide tonal range from somewhere close to pure white to pure black at the other end. The problem with these images, as I see it, is that they lack a certain amount of tonal range, particularly the first one, as it is mainly shades of grey and thus tends to look flat, although there is some texture in the veins of the leaf, there is very little in the way of contrast within the leaf itself, which does, nevertheless present an interesting geometry. Also, while there is some difference between the leaf and its background, there is not enough contrast between the two - my opinion. The second image is a little better in that it does have some darker areas within it. I would have placed the centre of the stump in the centre of the image, or in one of the "thirds" points and had the large "cracks" radiating diagonally across the image - my take on it - if you are happy with it, then that is all that counts.

One thing I often look at when doing conversions, is the shape of the histogram of the coloured image. Are the "peaks" in the histogram spread out across the graph with no obvious clipping, are they bunched up at either end, or are they in groups at the two ends of the graph. I find that those with a histogram "spread" out across the graph, often make for better conversions - haven't quite figured out why yet, but I am working on it. If you are going to shoot straight down, then it would be of interest to have some light from the side so that you get shadows that will give you a 3-D effect. Both of your images have very few, if any, shadows and thus they look flat. Maybe a "fill flash" or a flash with reduced intensity, might also do the trick.

You noted that you decided to do the B&W conversion, because I thought the actual colors were pretty drab and boring. Drab and boring colour images will often result in drab and boring B&W conversions. This is because, not every colour image makes a good black and white image. If you are interested in pursuing black and white imaging, then you might want to take a look at some of the early masters such Adams, Porter and Weston. There are hundreds of web sites on the subject and all kinds of books available. Personally, I would be very interested in your conversion process as I am also developing an interest in B&W conversions.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I second that! Thanks, WesternGuy, for taking the time for such a thorough critique! I guess my thought process on using a black and white conversion for these, was flawed from the beginning. I have always suffered form a certain lack of imagination when it comes to having an idea of what I want to capture, before I go out and capture it..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back