Types of lens

Rickjs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was looking at some used lenses for my 3200 and read an article on the Nikon site explaining the different types of lenses. What is the difference between a D and a G lens. I want to be able to use auto focus and was told I would need to get a G lens. Is that correct?

Not entirely true. I have a 17-35/2.8D AF-S lens with a built-in motor. There is no screw-drive focus coupler on it.

I finally found a chart and it shows for the 3200 I would need either an AF-S or AF-I to be able to use auto focus. Is there something similar for Sigma or Tamron?

Sigma and Tamron both make lenses to work with the entry level D3xx and D5xx series Nikon bodies. Tamron calls their motors USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) and Sigma uses HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor).

The tricky part about getting the Tamron or Sigma lenses is that if you're buying used you need to be careful what you get as Tamron and Sigma do not include in the lens name whether or not it is an older screw drive lens or a more modern lens with a built in focus motor. You can obviously tell if the lens has the built in motor from a picture (provided it is of the actual lens) by seeing if there is a switch on the side of the lens to switch from auto focus to manual focus. Another way to tell on these lenses is to count how many electrical contacts there are on the lens mount. The older screw driven lenses only used 5 contacts and the newer ones with the built in motors have 8 contacts.

This is one of the main reasons I upgraded to my D7000 as it can use virtually every Nikon lens made since the late 1970's.

Search the archive here or just Google "Nikon AFD, AFS, AIS." Tons of info just a few clicks away.

........ You can obviously tell if the lens has the built in motor from a picture (provided it is of the actual lens) by seeing if there is a switch on the side of the lens to switch from auto focus to manual focus. Another way to tell on these lenses is to count how many electrical contacts there are on the lens mount. The older screw driven lenses only used 5 contacts and the newer ones with the built in motors have 8 contacts.

Silly me. I just look for the screw-drive coupler on the lens mount.

........ You can obviously tell if the lens has the built in motor from a picture (provided it is of the actual lens) by seeing if there is a switch on the side of the lens to switch from auto focus to manual focus. Another way to tell on these lenses is to count how many electrical contacts there are on the lens mount. The older screw driven lenses only used 5 contacts and the newer ones with the built in motors have 8 contacts.

Silly me. I just look for the screw-drive coupler on the lens mount.

That's true if you have the lens in hand or have a good photo of the back of the lens mount.

Most reactions

Back