Ugg, why did they wear white when I asked them to wear bold colors....

Oh duh. I don't even know what Program is, I mostly shoot in Manual. That's kinda embarrasing actually.

I mostly shoot in manual too!!!!!!! You called me out man, on the one's that were, lol.

Well, post some others that didn't have the flash go off. Did you shoot in Raw?

Oh duh. I don't even know what Program is, I mostly shoot in Manual. That's kinda embarrasing actually.

I mostly shoot in manual too!!!!!!! You called me out man, on the one's that were, lol.

I will post more for ya tomorrow......so you can call me out.....in manual mode.....

Well, post some others that didn't have the flash go off. Did you shoot in Raw?

No, but I would really like to shoot in RAW. I have shot a few in RAW before and I like the editing capabilities better, but darn file sizes are friggin huge!

Well, yeah. But they save you in post processing if you need them too. I have 2 external hard drives that I dump to monthly to keep my laptop alive.

ETA- Raw files also have the capability of something like 64000 values, where a jpg has 256. Thats HUGE. So you're losing a lot of possible detail as well by not shooting in it.

I just wanted to ask, because I'm a little concerned between the lacking of EXIF knowledge combined with not knowing if flash was actually used, and please don't take this the wrong way...but you are not selling these photos right? Free shoots are perfectly cool and a great way of gaining experience, but trying to operate any sort of business or charge for photos with marginal experience isn't necessarily ethical.

Again, don't take it the wrong way, I'm just curious :)

Well, yeah. But they save you in post processing if you need them too. I have 2 external hard drives that I dump to monthly to keep my laptop alive.

ETA- Raw files also have the capability of something like 64000 values, where a jpg has 256. Thats HUGE. So you're losing a lot of possible detail as well by not shooting in it.

You are one on me, I have only have ONE external hard drive. I am a fan of that "Fro knows photo." The dude that wears shirts that say I SHOOT RAW. He has tons of youtube videos. By the way, is how I taught myself to shoot in manual is I first shoot in Auto, look at the what the camera chose, switch it to manual, and play with the settings that are close to what the camera chose. That is what I do before each pose......

I just wanted to ask, because I'm a little concerned between the lacking of EXIF knowledge combined with not knowing if flash was actually used, and please don't take this the wrong way...but you are not selling these photos right? Free shoots are perfectly cool and a great way of gaining experience, but trying to operate any sort of business or charge for photos with marginal experience isn't necessarily ethical.

Again, don't take it the wrong way, I'm just curious :)

Heck no I'm not selling. Notice I posted in beginners....I have lots of friends to PRACTICE on......

Yep, knew that.....

Heck no I'm not selling. Notice I posted in beginners....I have lots of friends to PRACTICE on......
You'd be surprised :)At least you seem super willing to learn, thats awesome.

You'd be surprised :)At least you seem super willing to learn, thats awesome.

Yes, I am so glad I have lots of good friends for volunteers to practice. Check out this crazy guy on youtube....froknowsphoto....he shoots RAW...I love his videos..

luvmyfamily said:
By the way, is how I taught myself to shoot in manual is I first shoot in Auto, look at the what the camera chose, switch it to manual, and play with the settings that are close to what the camera chose. That is what I do before each pose......

Thats a perfectly legitimate way of shooting. However, and take this with a grain of salt because I'm no crazy-experienced dude, but you might be better off just learning to start manually exposing a photo from scratch. The camera will always pick "safe" values for things like Aperture and SS, and if you base your photos off of what the camera wants to do, your missing a lot of opportunity to really get some great shots out at more extreme values. I personally much prefer to look at something, think about how I want it to look, and then do my best to match the settings to that vision. Does it usually take a couple tries because I'm largely inexperienced? Sure it does, but I know that the end result is completely my own design, not the camera's.

Good to know ;) You would be amazed by the number of people who pick up a decent camera and think the P mode means "Professional"...

luvmyfamily said:
You are one on me, I have only have ONE external hard drive. I am a fan of that "Fro knows photo." The dude that wears shirts that say I SHOOT RAW. He has tons of youtube videos. By the way, is how I taught myself to shoot in manual is I first shoot in Auto, look at the what the camera chose, switch it to manual, and play with the settings that are close to what the camera chose. That is what I do before each pose......

You should get understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson. It's not the best book but it explains how to shoot in manual pretty well. Usually what I choose for settings aren't what auto would choose.

What you are doing isn't bad but - try using aperture/shutter priority. In aperture priority you choose an aperture and the camera chooses the shutter speed - the ISO as well if auto ISO is on. Shutter priority - you pick shutter speed and camera does the rest. Your flash won't ever pop up either!

luvmyfamily said:
Yes, I am so glad I have lots of good friends for volunteers to practice. Check out this crazy guy on youtube....froknowsphoto....he shoots RAW...I love his videos..

He has a forum too....

Thats a perfectly legitimate way of shooting. However, and take this with a grain of salt because I'm no crazy-experienced dude, but you might be better off just learning to start manually exposing a photo from scratch. The camera will always pick "safe" values for things like Aperture and SS, and if you base your photos off of what the camera wants to do, your missing a lot of opportunity to really get some great shots out at more extreme values. I personally much prefer to look at something, think about how I want it to look, and then do my best to match the settings to that vision. Does it usually take a couple tries because I'm largely inexperienced? Sure it does, but I know that the end result is completely my own design, not the camera's.

Very true, but I also said that I kinda go by what the camera chooses while I am in learning mode and then mess with the settings that are close, but not exactly as the cam chose. Once I get enough practice, I hope to be able to do it in my sleep. Kinda like learning to ride a bike....you start with training wheels and then take off on your own....

Most reactions

Back