Ugg, why did they wear white when I asked them to wear bold colors....

Yes but do you know why you are using those settings?

You hVe a light Meter in your camera that will help you expose your photos - it doesn't have to be guesswork or memorizing what works in what situations.

The meter

-......0.....+

Looks something like that.

Seriously buy the Bryan Peterson book - its cheap and worth it IMO.
Or google exposure triangle and metering.....

I agree. There's so much more than just matching Auto. Because Auto doesn't know what DOF you want/need. Or Shutter Speed you want/need. All that matters.

Bossy said:
I agree. There's so much more than just matching Auto. Because Auto doesn't know what DOF you want/need. Or Shutter Speed you want/need. All that matters.

There are multiple correct exposures for every scene/picture but you don't want just a good exposure - you want a creative one as well....and auto will just pick a good exposure!

OP- check out clickitupanotch.con

She has some good articles on how to shoot manual that aren't overly technical!

Very true, but I also said that I kinda go by what the camera chooses while I am in learning mode and then mess with the settings that are close, but not exactly as the cam chose. Once I get enough practice, I hope to be able to do it in my sleep. Kinda like learning to ride a bike....you start with training wheels and then take off on your own....

I learned to ride a bike by hot-wiring a ducati and winning the Grand Prix. Just saying ;)

At least, thats what it felt like when I took off those damned training wheels...

Bossy said:

There are multiple correct exposures for every scene/picture but you don't want just a good exposure - you want a creative one as well....and auto will just pick a good exposure!

OP- check out clickitupanotch.con

She has some good articles on how to shoot manual that aren't overly technical!

Thank you Megan, i am very eager to learn. I'm sure the book on amazon is cheap.

togalive What is your avatar of?

I'll put an avatar up of me....but it was taken with a point and shoot. Or.....I could use this one......HA!!!!!
fisherpricecam.jpg

Unless you have really bright continuous lights, it's much better to use flash in portrait photography. You were shooting on ISO 800 or 1600, that is excessive for studio shooting. Your shutter speed was also on 1/60s which does no favors to the sharpness of the image.

Why don't you want to use off camera flash?

Thank you....I think I have gotten quite enough info and learned quite a bit from this thread and also great resources to read.

Unless you have really bright continuous lights, it's much better to use flash in portrait photography. You were shooting on ISO 800 or 1600, that is excessive for studio shooting. Your shutter speed was also on 1/60s which does no favors to the sharpness of the image.

Why don't you want to use off camera flash?

I thought someone said earlier it's NOT good to use flash with continuous lights because you have two types of lighting. I dunno...think I'm over this thread.

Well IMO you shouldn't use them together. But Tylers asking why are you using continuous instead of strobe for portraits. My guess is $$.

Well IMO you shouldn't use them together. But Tylers asking why are you using continuous instead of strobe for portraits. My guess is $$.

I bought my lighting studio and love it, but just need to learn to position the lights correctly. Once winter is over, I won't hardly use that thing as I prefer outdoor photography...natural light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back