Ugg, why did they wear white when I asked them to wear bold colors....

Your exif says your flash was fired on the first one.

luvmyfamily said:
Megan, it was a DOF issue. I just looked back and I had my aperture set at f13! I took SO many pics of this group, I didn't re-set my aperture from the previous one, which is why the background was blurred...OK, so I am posting in the beginners section, what aperture would be best to not have a backround blur?

Well f/13 would've given you a huge DOF - none/little background blur. F/8 is probably a great starting point for studio work - then go smaller (higher f#). Distance also plays a big role. The closer you are (5" and under) the shallower the DOF (blurry background).

With a 35mm lens at f/8 and 8" away from your subject you will have around 6" of DOF so you could use an even smaller aperture like f/11 if you wanted/needed too.

That helps a lot. I have another photo session Wed, 2 next weekend. I will try starting with F/8 and practice on my own kids first until I perfect it. I will have my kids stand one in front, one in back and mess with the settings until I have them both completely in focus. By the way, I prefer outdoor photography best, so I can't wait for winter to be over!

Practicing with toys might be better. Stuffed animals? Vases? Things that don't get impatient with you while your working things out :)

luvmyfamily said:
That helps a lot. I have another photo session Wed, 2 next weekend. I will try starting with F/8 and practice on my own kids first until I perfect it. I will have my kids stand one in front, one in back and mess with the settings until I have them both completely in focus. By the way, I prefer outdoor photography best, so I can't wait for winter to be over!

I may be wrong but I think Bossy asked about the flash because of the eyes. It's hard to tell on my phone but the catchlights look like the pinlights you can get from flash.

What kind of continuous lights are you using? Are you using any modifiers like umbrellas or soft boxes?

I think I mentioned this before - having light in the eyes.

This is a poor example but....see the visible eye and the light in it? It is from an off camera flash shot through an umbrella. Catchlights give life to a portrait and make it more "appealing" I guess.

Is it a focusing issue or a DOF issue??

Megan, it was a DOF issue. I just looked back and I had my aperture set at f13! I took SO many pics of this group, I didn't re-set my aperture from the previous one, which is why the background was blurred...OK, so I am posting in the beginners section, what aperture would be best to not have a backround blur?

Unless you changed your exif data, it was not shot at f13...you were at f4.5

[Image]
Make = Canon
Model = Canon EOS REBEL T3
Orientation = top/left
Date Time = 2012-02-03 19:56:43
Artist =
Copyright =
[Camera]
Exposure Time = 1/60"
F Number = F4.5
Exposure Program = Normal program
ISO Speed Ratings = 800
Exif Version = 30, 32, 33, 30
Date Time Original = 2012-02-03 19:56:43
Date Time Digitized = 2012-02-03 19:56:43
Shutter Speed Value = 6 TV
Aperture Value = 4.4 AV
Exposure Bias Value = ±0EV
Metering Mode = Pattern
Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length = 35mm
User Comment =
Subsec Time = 0.92"
Flashpix Version = Version 1.0
Color Space = sRGB
Exif Image Width = 3088
Exif Image Height = 2056
Custom Rendered = Normal process
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Scene Capture Type = Normal
[Thumbnail]
Thumbnail = 160 x 120

I just looked...I did not use a flash.....these are incorrect. :meh:

The pinlights, the super flat "flashed" look, the white/blue light from flash vs the yellow from the continuous... Look on the arms, you see a line of blue, then orange as well. That's 2 different types of lights.

luvmyfamily said:

I may be wrong but I think Bossy asked about the flash because of the eyes. It's hard to tell on my phone but the catchlights look like the pinlights you can get from flash.

What kind of continuous lights are you using? Are you using any modifiers like umbrellas or soft boxes?

I think I mentioned this before - having light in the eyes.

This is a poor example but....see the visible eye and the light in it? It is from an off camera flash shot through an umbrella. Catchlights give life to a portrait and make it more "appealing" I guess.

I have umbrellas. Maybe I had the lighting too close?? I am still learning and all I know is to move the 3 lights around and play with it!

luvmyfamily said:

Where are you seeing your exif data? In an editing program or something like that? Just curious because the exif data that they are seeing is embedded in the image and will be correct unless it was somehow. changes by you. I'm on my phone so I can't see exif data but what do you see for the shutter speed, aperture, ect?

The pinlights, the super flat "flashed" look, the white/blue light from flash vs the yellow from the continuous... Look on the arms, you see a line of blue, then orange as well. That's 2 different types of lights.

I see the 2 different lights. I took about 10 of this same pose at different settings. I probably looked at the wrong one. I do not like using a flash and sucker pops up and I have to go back and set it to NO FLASH again.

luvmyfamily said:
I have umbrellas. Maybe I had the lighting too close?? I am still learning and all I know is to move the 3 lights around and play with it!

Too close would't be the issue. The image I posted - the umbrella was actually cropped out of the image - it was super super close. It probably has more to do with angle, height and positioning.

Its probably harder when you are actually doing a photo shoot. Try using a doll, with Reflective eyes (not the painted on ones), and just move the doll or the lights around. You are lucky because you can actually see what the light does before you take the picture. Can't do that with off camera flash.

Your exif is embedded in the image file, I know it can be hidden but I don't think it can be altered easily. Are you shooting in Auto? Auto generally loves flash.

luvmyfamily said:

Where are you seeing your exif data? In an editing program or something like that? Just curious because the exif data that they are seeing is embedded in the image and will be correct unless it was somehow. changes by you. I'm on my phone so I can't see exif data but what do you see for the shutter speed, aperture, ect?

Bossy is correct, I just went back and looked in my camera and because I took so many of the same pose, they all look alike from the camera, so I looked at the wrong one. I don't know how to look at exif other than from my camera but would be nice if you could tell me how since I am new.

Bossy said:
Your exif is embedded in the image file, I know it can be hidden but I don't think it can be altered easily. Are you shooting in Auto? Auto generally loves flash.

I think the exif said Program which is similar to auto....
Flash wont pop up on shutter priority, aperture priority or manual....

I have a plug in thing for Firefox that I can right-click and see the exif, but you can also see it in programs like photoshop or online on Flickr.

Oh duh. I don't even know what Program is, I mostly shoot in Manual. That's kinda embarrasing actually.

I have a plug in thing for Firefox that I can right-click and see the exif, but you can also see it in programs like photoshop or online on Flickr.

Will search for the plug in, but I can see it from my camera as well. Only thing about looking at it from your camera is that in this case, I had so many of the same pose.....I looke at wrong one. Ugg..bedtime....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back