weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a few when I was up here last year, it was fantastic scenery and a really nice day to boot. We were spoiled for the weather last year though. I've get a few of these boats, but I felt that this one worked the best as it retained the elements I wanted in the image while cutting out the stuff that didn't add anything. It would have been nice to include a bit of foreground but I felt those shots made the boats too small as they were a fair bit out. I do feel like this one could be sharper but my shutter speed was ok for the focal length and there was no swell to speak of so I guess that's just my lens.

As always, C&C is welcome

Ullapool Fishing Boats by wee_pete, on Flickr

As you mentioned, the scale of the boats and composition is good.

I like this composition very much (its brilliant - despite the picture sides ratio which i don't prefer but its matter of taste - i'd like to see it in square!)!
I have some concerns about the color of the sky (I'm not sure if it hasn't too green tint?) but it can be my misjudgement because here at my workplace I have no access to good calibrated monitor...

Thanks chaps, glad you both like and thanks for the comments!

Anyway I did a square version on Ink's suggestion and I've increased the blue tones in the sky a bit along with two local adjustments for saturation on the fisherman's face as it wasn't looking like a good skin tone to me. I'd have liked to have left a bit more room around the boats on this crop but unfortunatley this is the limit of the height of this photo.

Ullapool U10s Square by wee_pete, on Flickr

What an amazing shot - I love all of the colors you were able to capture in this picture! I think it's wonderful how to kept the focus and it's ever so slightly blurred the mountains in the background. I'm fairly new to the photography world I'm afraid I cannot leave the constructive criticism that you are looking for. I just wanted to compliment you on such a beautiful capture.

Thanks shawie, I do appreciate you taking the time to comment. Any thought's and opinions or whatever are welcome

#1 is great photo in my opinion.

weepete It wasn't my intention to encourage You to crop this particular picture because I did know that it would be harmful (loosing space on sides isn't a good idea - I'd prefer rather having more space on the top and bottom).
I simply don't like those kind of sides proportion :)

No worries mate, I'd have preferred that too, maybe I can still do something about that....we'll see. Anyways I meant it more as an explanation as to why I chopped the sides off as opposed to keeping the original width. I thought I might just have gotten away with it here but I think you guys are right, it's a wee bit too close. It's not really something I thought about in the original crop so I wanted to try it out.

I'm still playing about with composition and some stuff so I'm not sure what works a lot of the time and what doesn't though I think I'm starting to get a bit of a better handling on the processing. Composition is something I've always found difficult so the feedback really helps!

Composition is something I've always found difficult so the feedback really helps!

It is indeed together with catching most applicable lightening.
But You have nothing to be ashamed - submitted example works pretty well for me (both composition and lightening)! :)

Wauw! I've lived in Scotland for 5 months, and I've also been to Ullapool! Scotland is beautiful! I'd love to go back there again!

Yup, it's a nice part of the world. Some of the scenery a wee bit north of Ullapool is pretty spectacular too with some cool mountain ranges.

Very nice, but its hard to fail on the West coast, ive stopped a few time at Ullapool on my motorbike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back