Umbrellas, umbrellas, umbrellas...

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm putting together an off camera speedlight setup.

Strobist recommended a silver umbrella, but then he said that he changed his mind and prefers the translucent variety.

How do I know which one I want? Also, do I want a 33" or a 42"?

Is there a good resource that says things like, "this umbrella will give you a wider pool of light" and "this umbrella gives you softer light"?

And yes, I already Googled it. I didn't find much that was helpful.

Shoot-through umbrellas soften the light nicely, but spills light everywhere.

Reflective umbrellas contain the light better but is a bit more contrasty with its light.

Some umbrellas have a peel off cover so that you can have both types in one.

The larger the umbrella, the larger you are creating your light source which will soften the light to a greater extent.

The first thing I'd be using it for is some fire-spinning/fire dancing photography. I want to be able to light most or all of a person standing up. However, the people tend to move around a bit. I'll be outside, so wind may be a concern. The light will need to be at least 10 or maybe 20 feet away from the subject.

Also, how do you set the zoom head on a flash when you are using an umbrella?

10 to 20 feet from the subject, outdoors??? Hmmm...you might consider using no umbrella at all.

@Christian
The first thing I'd be using it for is some fire-spinning/fire dancing photography. I want to be able to light most or all of a person standing up. However, the people tend to move around a bit. I'll be outside, so wind may be a concern. The light will need to be at least 10 or maybe 20 feet away from the subject.

@Christian

Wops - didn't see that part. Well, as long as the person is aware of the flash (the one doing the fire-spinning), I'm think a medium size umrella at each side of the person, at some distance from the subject could be an idea. I don't think any softboxes should be considered before you have tried, as their idea is to soften the light :)
You would however have to set them on high power, so maybe pocketwizard could be an idea to avoid that they don't flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back