What's new

Umbrellas, umbrellas, umbrellas...

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
626
Reaction score
4
Location
New England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm putting together an off camera speedlight setup.

Strobist recommended a silver umbrella, but then he said that he changed his mind and prefers the translucent variety.

How do I know which one I want? Also, do I want a 33" or a 42"?

Is there a good resource that says things like, "this umbrella will give you a wider pool of light" and "this umbrella gives you softer light"?

And yes, I already Googled it. I didn't find much that was helpful.
 
Shoot-through umbrellas soften the light nicely, but spills light everywhere.

Reflective umbrellas contain the light better but is a bit more contrasty with its light.

Some umbrellas have a peel off cover so that you can have both types in one.

The larger the umbrella, the larger you are creating your light source which will soften the light to a greater extent.
 
The first thing I'd be using it for is some fire-spinning/fire dancing photography. I want to be able to light most or all of a person standing up. However, the people tend to move around a bit. I'll be outside, so wind may be a concern. The light will need to be at least 10 or maybe 20 feet away from the subject.

Also, how do you set the zoom head on a flash when you are using an umbrella?
 
10 to 20 feet from the subject, outdoors??? Hmmm...you might consider using no umbrella at all.
 
Could I ask what you will be shooting? It would be easier to answer then from what I know at least :)
 
@Christian
The first thing I'd be using it for is some fire-spinning/fire dancing photography. I want to be able to light most or all of a person standing up. However, the people tend to move around a bit. I'll be outside, so wind may be a concern. The light will need to be at least 10 or maybe 20 feet away from the subject.

Also, how do you set the zoom head on a flash when you are using an umbrella?
 
@Christian
The first thing I'd be using it for is some fire-spinning/fire dancing photography. I want to be able to light most or all of a person standing up. However, the people tend to move around a bit. I'll be outside, so wind may be a concern. The light will need to be at least 10 or maybe 20 feet away from the subject.

Also, how do you set the zoom head on a flash when you are using an umbrella?

Wops - didn't see that part. Well, as long as the person is aware of the flash (the one doing the fire-spinning), I'm think a medium size umrella at each side of the person, at some distance from the subject could be an idea. I don't think any softboxes should be considered before you have tried, as their idea is to soften the light :)
You would however have to set them on high power, so maybe pocketwizard could be an idea to avoid that they don't flash.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom