Underexposed Right Quarter of Film - Help!

I have giant thumbs too.

WEIRD photo defect....just flat out unusual. Would like to see a few more images. Looks like there's a focusing issue. I do NOT think this is a light leak in any way. Wondering if there's something wrong with the lens. Based on the good focus on the left side of the frame, but the blurry yet still outlined form on the right, I think the issue is at the rear of the lens. MY only thought is malfunctioning lens diaphragm blades.

WOuld like to see a shot of some lights on a dark background, like Christmas lights, shot at say f/8 at 3 seconds from a tripod...to see if the diaphragm blades are leaving a tell-tale shape. You could literally stick a postage stamp on the front element and make a passable photo--but something on the BACK of the lens causes major image formation problems. Wondering if it could be foam sealing inside the camera causing the issue.

It's difficult to diagnose some issues based on only one kind of photo.

I would open the back of the camera, and set the shutter to 1/2 second, hold it up and fire it toward a brightly-lit wall, and visually inspect the shape of the aperture mechanism's iris shape over 10 or so clicks, at different f/stop settings. ALso, inspect the lens, look at the rear element especially. Let us know what you find out.

Is it possible that you have a loose lens mount that cause the lens to tilt?

That looks to me like the lens mount is not parallel to the film plane, and the lens's image center is near the left side of the frame. If it does it with any lens, it's the camera body. If it's only the one lens, then something in the lens is out of position.

It's similar to what you see looking through binoculars that aren't quite in front of your eye.

The blurring is in fact so pronounced, it appears to have run off the bottom of the photo on to the blanket...

Most reactions

Back