Understanding Composition?

Here's an excerpt form a piece I'm writing.

In order to ‘see’ photographically, a person must be at least somewhat familiar with what goes on with the eye and the mind when looking at a photograph. The eye sees only reflectance edges, the edge between one degree of luminosity and another, and differences in pigmentation. The mind will associate an image viewed with a memory preserved from its own experiences. If none exist then the viewer may well move on without any significant recognition or attachment. In order to catch a viewer’s eye photographers employ photographic techniques such as contrast, composition and familiarity of subject.
Contrast is a useful tool that can add drama and that eye-catching quality to a photograph. A plain image of a seascape on an overcast day can be a good example. Sand and surf and sky may appear to be very close in tone and lack the ability to draw the viewer’s attention for very long, certainly not long enough to create a lasting impression. Make that same image on a day with bright sunlight and more turbulent seas and the viewer may take notice of it. The use of, say, contrast control filters in a black and white image to produce separation in tonal values in the image will create a striking photograph that may remain in the viewer’s memories for months if not for years. A photographer needs to learn to see possibilities in a subject that allow for greater creative control so that the photographer knows when to use the tools at his disposal to create a lasting and iconic image.
Now try to envision a pasture with remarkable snow covered hills in the distance. With nothing to lead the viewer’s attention to those hills they may go completely unnoticed. However if the photographer was to include that barbed wire fence and angle it into the photograph in a way that as it recedes into the background, the lines of the fence would most likely draw the viewer to those mountains and now the same subject has added meaning that was lacking before. There are visual tricks that can be done to emphasize a subject in an image. Shoot an image of a person through some wood lattice, framing them in the angled pieces of wood. This is called framing and helps the viewer of the image to focus on the subject. And be sure to check and see whether there are any distracting details in the background that draw the viewers attention away for the true subject such as a trash can or an airplane contrail. Do everything you can to limit the visual input that the viewer receives aside from your intended subject or theme.
Our eyes have different components for detecting the ‘color’ and intensity of light, rods and cones. The rods detect the wavelength of incoming reflected light. The cones enable us to differentiate between higher intensity and lower intensity light. Without our eyes and their various components, our ability to see, as we know it, would be different. Also something to remember is that our eyes have increased perception latitude, more so than film has exposure latitude. A photographer might make an image and then get the prints back and find that, within the high contrast scene they just shot, the shadows have absolutely no useful detail and that there are highlights that are completely washed out. It is possible to be able to visually see a scene before you that the film cannot record. Black and white will cover a luminance range of about 128:1 or seven stops of exposure. The human eye can see a luminance range of 10,000:1 or around 13 stops of exposure. Film cannot compete with the human eye, but with a properly trained mind behind that eye, this shortcoming can be overcome.
But this can only happen if the eye is maintained. A photographer must normally be able to see their subject. Poor vision can lead to soft images do to bad focusing and might even cause a photographer to overlook a possibly interesting subject because it simply was not noticed. Just as a photographer gets his gear cleaned at regular intervals, the eyes should not fall into neglect. Get regular checkups and get prescription eyewear if necessary. Don’t let a good shot pass you by simply because you didn’t know it was there.
Another consideration to bear in mind is the way that the human memory works. The human brain has an associative memory, meaning that the brain will associate visual and other types of input with personal experiences. Everybody has seen a kitten or a baby or a car or a field of grass. Not everybody has seen the aurora borealis or an iceberg or the Great Barrier Reef. So images of unfamiliar subjects that the brain does not remember are best rendered with vivid color, increased contrast and/or with compositional tricks to emphasize the subject. Another example of an associative memory might be that a person will see a photograph of a familiar subject and associate with it. Let’s imagine that someone who lives in western Wyoming has just seen for the first time Ansel Adams’ ‘Grand Tetons, Snake River Overlook’ and thinks ‘I have a dozen of these images at home’. He then goes to find his prints of the same subject and sees, upon further inspection, that the images are intrinsically different and may very well not measure up to Adams’ print. The reason for this is that the human brain will take an image of a familiar subject and, in the absence of the actual experience, will fill in the blanks created by time and what the brain did not remember. In this case it will remember the mountains, which alone are very remarkable. It will not remember the edge of the roadway in the foreground or the shadow cast by their body that is on the ground before them in the image or the clouds that obscured the peaks that day or any other myriad of forgettable details.
So it is important to bear these things in mind when choosing, composing, and exposing a subject. There are certain things that some people will respond to that others will not. There are visual tricks that can attract almost anybody to a photograph where, if not employed, the image would go unnoticed. And practiced visualization will provide the instinct for when such techniques may be required in any given situation.

Another thing that hasn't come up is the Golden Ratio. The rule of thirds is a very basic form of it, but actually involving the ratio in your photographs can really add some visual interest. Here's what it looks like

istockphoto_3202079_golden_ratio.jpg

And here's the best example I can think of where it's put into action:

http://images.artnet.com/artwork_images_424175658_232693_henri-cartier-bresson.jpg

Not just because there is a spiral, but because the elements have a specific direction and there is a critical point near the cyclist.

Here you go, if you want a book,"Mastering Composition" by Chris Rutter.
This will give you all the classic rules (which are meant to be broke!).

Actually a pretty nice book to get your eye looking with the end product in mind.

I have just bought 'The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos' by Michael Freeman. It only deals with photographic design and composition, 190 pages of it, so the author can cover the subject comprehensively. I'm still on chapter 1, but so far I'm impressed, and it has good reviews on Amazon.

Kevin

I may be on crack here, but my assumption has always been that "rules" about art, are really someone who naturally understands what makes something "work" trying to put their knack into words that someone else can follow.

The problem is they are likely more like "guidelines", and people should start with them until they develop the knack themselves, or as a starting point when looking at something you want to shoot, and then working up and out from there... bending those guidelines as needed to get the shot.

A pretty simple example being overexposure... in theory you never should overexpose a shot because it washes out details, but then what if doing that gives you a really cool effect that carries the emotion of the image you are trying to portray? Then overexpose away!

Just my $.02. Your mileage may vary. Offer void in Hawaii.

Using the book as reference, practice cropping some of your own photos on your computer. While that won't help you with all aspects of composition, it will help you with some.

Thank you for all the answers. There are some books I will pick up, and the website someone posted is AMAZING! There's a link to an old American (I assume) Navy manual on taking better photos, and although its from the 60s, all of the ideas make PERFECT sense! I've already learned some tips (not rules) to help me take more compelling photos.

You really have to just look at the world like your are photographing it. Or that is how I find myself looking at things.

You might check out The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman...its a pretty good book as far as covering the basics of composition. I am a newbie myself and I can tell you that it has really helped me understand and slowly improve on my composition.

I don't wanna be a copycat, cause then people will accuse me of being unoriginal.

Nearly any guitar player will learn, or attempt to learn, songs and techniques by those that came before them. Trying to 'reverse engineer' a successful image and recreate it is a learning experience. Use it as such. Learn from it, then branch out from it to create your own style, then show the world the latter.

Yeah, u can definitely find a lot of info online for beginning guitar -- and most of it is free. All kinds of videos on youtube and stuff -- but beware....

I just got from the "beginner" level to the "intermediate" level -- but it was with help from an online course that I had to pay for. I had started with the free stuff but the problem was that I couldn't ORGANIZE the free lessons in any kind of moderately rational way.. I was always switching between various videos and there was no order to anything. So I was trying to do scales when I should have just been dealing with really basic picking technique and etc.

So eventually I decided I need to do an actual online course --
http://consumerfilter.org/products/jamorama --
it actually worked pretty well! I might recommend you try it out.

cheers

:lol:

Most reactions

Back