Understanding Composition?

Yes. I'm learning to shoot pictures the same way I learned to play guitar. I look at the pictures other people post here and read the feedback they get. It gives me ideas on my composition and helps me avoid common pitfalls. I didn't just whip out my guitar one day and write a new song. Only after years of learning other peoples' music, and learning what chords work together was I ready to compose my own masterpiece. I imagine photography will be similar. Only after I learn the basics, study other peoples' artwork, and learn how everything works together will I start taking really awesome pictures.

From the same guy who wrote 'Understanding Exposure', there is also another book called 'Learning to See Creatively'.

I have been meaning to get a copy of that for a while. I just hit amazon and found used copys of the first (unrevised) version shipped for under $10. Anyone know how extensive the revisions were? I figure that either version should be chock full of good info, if it's anything like Understanding Exposure.

IMO Art is what YOU make it.... What one person feels is a great photo may look like nothing to another. Getting out there and taking photos is the only way (I Feel) that a person will ever learn to see the different views to be had. Going to B&N to scan over mags,books is a great idea imo, heck I do it. I have seen many shots I loved over the years and by all means I have gone and tried to take a similar shot. I see nothing wrong with this, to me you may be pleasantly surprised at the results you gather. Even if they are not the same as the org. Either way your out there taking the shots, getting the hours behind the camera and over all getting experiance. Just remember what is good for you may not be for others,,,,, but the one person you must please the most is yourself....... Enjoy every day you have to get out there and take some shots while you can.........

Most reactions

New Topics

Back