underwater cameras eg Sealife DC500 Pro Kit

Abstract

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
anyone any experience of underwater digitals and flash sets? I'm going diving next year and would like a decent camera and flash to get some nice photos of the fish, reef, turtles etc no way I can run to a case for my SLR so I was thinking something like the Sealife DC500 Pro Kit http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/d_stills/sealife.html my budget is £500 max

You might have a really hard time finding a really solid underwater camera for anything under that budget. The best way to go is to house your SLR--which is expensive, I know (i'm a diver myself).

The other thing to consider is that most dive resorts or dive shops will rent you whole SLR setups. Very high quality and usually reasonably priced.

The Sealife gear I've seen in the past was bottom-of-the-barrel, el-cheapo gear that they waterproofed, and marked up the price a whole lot. They'd put a $20 film point-n-shoot in a waterproof housing, and sell it with a flash and pelican case for $800.

You might consider a used Nikonos (Nikon underwater) 35mm camera. They go cheap on Ebay (I've seen them for less than $50). I have a Nikonos II, and while it has no bells and whistles, it's a really nice camera.

thanks for the heads up! you can get cases for p&s digitals are they worth it? or should I stick to disposables? I don't need "wow" quality but I'd like better than norm.

You can get a Nikonos II for the price of 5 or 6 disposables.

I have very limited underwater photo experience (a few rolls of 35mm), but for me the big issue was flash (the built in flash of a p&s is almost worthless underwater). The Sealife kits come with a flash, but I think you pay more than the value. The Nikonos cameras can take an underwater flash. As long as you could use an off camera flash with a p&s then that would work too (with the underwater housing). I would say in general that I'd expect the image quality from 35mm film to beat the image quality from most digital point-n-shoots, but then again you'd have to reload every 36 shots with film; it might not be worth it.

Most reactions

Back