Upgrade from Canon 400d

Invisible Man

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, everyone!

My beloved Canon 400d has been my faithful companion for a long time. However, I feel the time has come to upgrade or at least get her a younger sister :1247:

I'm seeking your advice regarding this difficult decision because I'm having a lot of trouble making up my mind.

My budget would be around 1000€. However if you think it would be worth it to go a little higher to get something clearly better I might wait a little longer to be able to save to go that extra stretch.

I currently have several canon or canon compatible lenses so I'll most likely be getting another Canon body.

I don't have a prefered type of photography, I just do whatever I feel inspired to do. However, being an amateur I don't normally have access to studio gear so I probably won't be doing that sort of work. Everything else is possible.

I have some education in photography (one year long photography course finished about 7 years ago) but I've only done amateur work after that and not always very regularly. For that, I would say that my skill level should be something like intermediate. With my 400d I feel some limitations like shooting in low light, or the ability to crop images without losing too much quality. Also, focusing isn't always the fastest and shooting burst shots is usually not very useful in this camera. I love my camera but I feel it's holding me down a bit and maybe I could evolve better with a newer body and newer technology.

I've already done some research and I came down to the following possibilities:

Canon 80d
Canon 7d Mark II
Canon 6d Mark II

The 6d is a full frame camera, of course. Although I would like to make that step, I'm not sure that this is the right camera to get right now, considering all the bad comments out there. On the other hand, some crop sensor cameras seem to have comparable quality nowadays. And all other full frame cameras seem to be too far away from my budget.

I would like to get your input, specially if you have used or know any of these cameras. Also, if you think there is another model I should consider or maybe wait for something you know is likely to come up soon, please let me know. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Thank you already for reading this far :1247:

What is your advice?

Hi, everyone!

My beloved Canon 400d has been my faithful companion for a long time. However, I feel the time has come to upgrade or at least get her a younger sister :1247:

I'm seeking your advice regarding this difficult decision because I'm having a lot of trouble making up my mind.

My budget would be around 1000€. However if you think it would be worth it to go a little higher to get something clearly better I might wait a little longer to be able to save to go that extra stretch.

I currently have several canon or canon compatible lenses so I'll most likely be getting another Canon body.

I don't have a prefered type of photography, I just do whatever I feel inspired to do. However, being an amateur I don't normally have access to studio gear so I probably won't be doing that sort of work. Everything else is possible.

I have some education in photography (one year long photography course finished about 7 years ago) but I've only done amateur work after that and not always very regularly. For that, I would say that my skill level should be something like intermediate. With my 400d I feel some limitations like shooting in low light, or the ability to crop images without losing too much quality. Also, focusing isn't always the fastest and shooting burst shots is usually not very useful in this camera. I love my camera but I feel it's holding me down a bit and maybe I could evolve better with a newer body and newer technology.

I've already done some research and I came down to the following possibilities:

Canon 80d
Canon 7d Mark II
Canon 6d Mark II

The 6d is a full frame camera, of course. Although I would like to make that step, I'm not sure that this is the right camera to get right now, considering all the bad comments out there. On the other hand, some crop sensor cameras seem to have comparable quality nowadays. And all other full frame cameras seem to be too far away from my budget.

I would like to get your input, specially if you have used or know any of these cameras. Also, if you think there is another model I should consider or maybe wait for something you know is likely to come up soon, please let me know. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

Thank you already for reading this far :1247:

What is your advice?

depends on your budget and the photo subject
wildlife and sports - 80D or 77D
portraits and events, maybe full frame - 5D4, 6D, etc
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

What lenses do you have? I switched from a canon 450d to a Nikon d7200. Was amazed at the difference. That was before the 80D and 77d came out though. I managed to get my lenses and old camera sold, only have a 430 flash left.

I'm sure you would be able to get a good condition d7200 with kit 18-140 in your price range. I think it is still a better camera-sensor wise- than the 80D.
Just my 2 pence though.

The lenses I currently own are:

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
Tokina 12-24mm f/4
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

I like the lenses I own right now and I'd probably lose money if I tried to switch to another brand. That's why I'm not really considering switching.

Like I wrote in my first post my budget is around 1000€ and the photo subject isn't really defined so it should be as multi-purpose as possible.

The lenses I currently own are:

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
Tokina 12-24mm f/4
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

I like the lenses I own right now and I'd probably lose money if I tried to switch to another brand. That's why I'm not really considering switching.

Like I wrote in my first post my budget is around 1000€ and the photo subject isn't really defined so it should be as multi-purpose as possible.

Ok, so you want the absolutely most multi-purpose camera and all the lenses

sports .... wildlife ... portraits .... landscapes .... children .....

what about flowers?

Last edited:
Nice glass, I didn't have good glass, so it made sense for me. I think the 80d or 77d would probably be your best bets. Not sure about their prices tbh.

Ok, it looks like the choice is narrowing down now :)

I'd look at a good condition second hand 6d. Everything about it will be a step up from what you have now and you have lenses to get the good from it. On paper the 6d looks only ok, but it is a reliable and capable camera, better than the specs suggest

I'd look at a good condition second hand 6d. Everything about it will be a step up from what you have now and you have lenses to get the good from it. On paper the 6d looks only ok, but it is a reliable and capable camera, better than the specs suggest

YUP!!! Full frame for the win. The 6D, used, is a good value, and it is a decent camera too! LOTS of fine pictures could be made with a 6D. The 50mm and the 70-200/2.8 would be _awsome_ on a 6D.

So my best choices are either a new 80D or a used 6D. What about a used 5D Mark II or maybe Mark III if a good opportunity comes up ?

Is it really a big difference to shoot in full frame in your opinion, considering the quality an 80D might deliver?

So my best choices are either a new 80D or a used 6D. What about a used 5D Mark II or maybe Mark III if a good opportunity comes up ?

Is it really a big difference to shoot in full frame in your opinion, considering the quality an 80D might deliver?

I don't think there's a big difference. Ultimatley either are very good cameras, but I see the 80D as a bit more general. Personally speaking I'd rather have the better AF and points in the 80D than the slightly better high ISO performance, but your mileage may vary, depending on whither you shoot more low light or moving subjects.

The 5D mkii and mkiii are still good cameras, but the technology is better in the newer cameras. If you shoot portraits or in a studio with controlled lighting then it's not a bad choice, but if you sboot anything else I'd go with the newer tech.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back