Zeeshan Mitra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone, I am new to the forums so if I make any mistakes on my first post then please forgive me. So a bit about me I am 25yr old Human Resource Student and executive but deep down my real passion is photography and thats why I am here, I am from India. So I have been clicking photos from the age of 12 with my mom's film cameras and have never stopped, it doesnt matter which camera I have but all that matters to me is getting the shot. 4 years back I had bought my first DSLR the Nikon D3100 with kit lens of 18-55 3.5-5.6, and later added a Tamron 70-300mm VC to my setup as I am into bird and animal photography but recently I have grown a fondness for landscape photography. So having used my D3100 for 4 years now I am pretty much contended with what I got out of it and D3100 is more than a camera to me its my teacher as I have not learnt photography with regards to manual operations from anyone, I practiced with my camera and got to know everything about the exposure pyramid, DOF, aperture, shutter speed, iso and every other nitty gritty of photography with it and this is when realised as long as you have a basic gear and a passion for photography taking good photos is not difficult. I learnt to shoot sports, wildlife, birds,landscape,light painting, long exposure shots thats is star trails, some astro photography with star decked skies and beautiful landscape as foreground all with my D3100,proving its not the gear but its the person who makes the image. So yes I still believe in this philosophy and I still love my D3100 but change is inevitable and we must change for the good, so now my D3100 is showing its age in terms of technological advancement and features, so now I want to upgrade my gear keeping my D3100 close to me. I also intend to take up a photography course soon to learn about the intricacies and build upon my self-taught photography knowledge. Since camera gear is costly here in India so I am on a budget, so I have shortlisted 2 choices which are as follows
1)Nikon D7100(body) with a 35mm f1.8
2)Nikon D5500(body) with Tamron 17-55 f2.8

So please guide me in selecting the best choice and all suggestions are welcome.Thank you

First hello and welcome to the forum.
D5500 vs D7100
That's a tough one, both amazing cameras.
D5500 has the slightly better sensor, has a touch swivel screen, its smaller and lighter (this might be a plus or minus depends of your taste).
On the other hand the D7100 has many more features, better AF system, second command dial, in body AF motor, top screen, better body with weather sealing and much more.
So I personally would go with the D7100 over the D5500 even though I love the D5500.
Now the lenses, just a prime lens is so limiting, 35mm is a great lens but not enough for me.
So if I am forced to choose your two choices I would go with the D5500 because of the flexibility of the zoom lens even though the D7100 is the camera I would rather have.
Bottom line if you can get the D7100 with the Tamron 17-55mm 2.8 then that's the best combo but if not then I rather have the D5500 with the Tamron.

First hello and welcome to the forum.
D5500 vs D7100
That's a tough one, both amazing cameras.
D5500 has the slightly better sensor, has a touch swivel screen, its smaller and lighter (this might be a plus or minus depends of your taste).
On the other hand the D7100 has many more features, better AF system, second command dial, in body AF motor, top screen, better body with weather sealing and much more.
So I personally would go with the D7100 over the D5500 even though I love the D5500.
Now the lenses, just a prime lens is so limiting, 35mm is a great lens but not enough for me.
So if I am forced to choose your two choices I would go with the D5500 because of the flexibility of the zoom lens even though the D7100 is the camera I would rather have.
Bottom line if you can get the D7100 with the Tamron 17-55mm 2.8 then that's the best combo but if not then I rather have the D5500 with the Tamron.
First off ,thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my query, and yes I totally agree with your comments. I personally want the D7100 with the 17-55 but budget is acting as a limiting factor, well I will sew what I can do. But thanks again for helping me sort out my confusion.

Most reactions

Back