Upgrade to SLR for a Canon guy?

padrepaul77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi gang,

I wanted some advice on whether or not I should buy a second camera.

My situation is this. I'm a guy who takes photography seriously as an amateur, but do some blow-ups, have some things framed and auction off some pictures at charity auctions. I'd like to start getting in competitions if possible. I don't do this for a living; I'm a Catholic priest, and find photography is a great way to unwind and relax. I live in the Twin Cities, near plenty of lakes and there are many great places to shoot all times of the year.

I have a Canon Powershot sx10IS that I really enjoy. It's got the works; a 20x zoom, lots of fancy pre-sets for various situations; I can change the aperture, shutter speed, all that; go from "foilage" to "sunset" to "snow" and get all sorts of fancy things. About the only thing I can't do is hold the shutter open for more than 15 seconds, which I don't really need to do anyway; shooting lightning at 15 seconds is enough. I picked this up on Amazon in February for a great price, and get great, sharp images. I'm quite happy with this camera.

However, I was wondering should I buy an SLR? I was eying packages on Ebay, the Canon 500d and the 450d. They seem similar; I can get a package with lots of toys and lenses for just over a grand on the 500, and about 850 for the 450d. My concern is would this be a frivilous expense for an amaetur? I would keep the other camera for many things; and when I travel, can't see myself packing up all that equipment as it's too cumbersome and I don't really feel comfortable checking it at the airport, though I would bring it on daytrips.

So, basically I can blow a paycheck on a nice new SLR, or just be content with the great camera I do have and rely on that. And if I go that route, should I get the 500 or save a few hundred and get the 450? (And I suppose I can look at Nikon too). Right now I'm leaning toward just having fun with my current camera, and am thinking blowing that kind of dough might be frivilous, but it could be a good investment and I know I'd get a lot of use out of it. And, this is going to make me sound like a dolt, but I notice there are no "presets" really on the SLRs, like for "vivid color"; but I'm assuming you can get that if you set things right to bring out color on leaves, etc.

So, there's a lot here, but I'd appreciate your help. Here's the auctions I'm eying, but they are always on Ebay so will never go away:
Canon EOS T1i Digital Rebel 500D SLR Camera +6 Lens NEW - eBay (item 140338013611 end time Sep-04-09 11:05:10 PDT)

NEW USA CANON EOS Rebel XSi 450D Digital Camera +2 lens - eBay (item 290333871356 end time Aug-22-09 22:07:06 PDT)

Thanks for the help...there's a lot out there on ebay and it is a fun, but pricey hobby.

Regards,
Paul

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was eying packages on Ebay [...]

Stay away from those... They are usually loaded with junk that you don't need. If you want to buy new, I suggest B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders or Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera. Ebay can still be good for used stuff though, just don't fall for one of those "kits" - the accessories that come with them are usually low quality crap that you would never have bought separately.

I say go for it (just not one of those kits). Not frivilous at all. I think once you start shooting with an SLR, you may be hooked. Are you sure you want to do this, it can get pretty expensive - :lol:!

Thanks...I'll consider it. I looked at the kits as you seem to get some nice lenses, filters, etc., all in one package.

The quality of most of the filters is questionable.

Some of the "lenses" in the kit are actually just close-up filters too.

I'm with Josh. The kit(s) is not worth as much as it appears. I can't really call them a ripoff though. Just purposely designed to suck in neophytes to DSLR photography.

The tripod and flash are nearly useless. The UV filters certainly are. One of the filters in the 3 filter set would be kind of useful under the right kind of flourescent lighting.

The only decent lens is the Canon 50 mm and new that's only a $90 piece. The Tamron lenses are ok, but Canon's versions are probably better. Some of the stuff they show comes with the camera anyway like the cables, software, battery and charger.

The hard case is neither sturdy, nor secure.

The most reputable online sellers of photo gear are:
B&H Photo Video www.bhphotovideo.com
Adorama www.adorama.com
BuyDig.com (owned by Beach Camera another reputable seller)
Amazon.com (but be careful who fullfills the order: Beach, Cameta and a couple of others are reputable. Check them out first)

If you have a mind to check out used gear www.keh.com is tops.

As always, Buyer Beware applies.

Last edited:
Agree. Stay away from kits.

Not to mention the fact that somebody was here recently talking about the kit being switched on her after the purchase.

As far as buying a new camera, only you can really answer. Is there something you want to do that you can't do with your present camera? If yes, you can use a new one. If no, why spend the money?

Cheers.

Stay away from the usual Kit sets. They are a marketing gimmick only.

I would also seriously consider going to KEH.com for most of your hardware.
Follow the guides they use for grading the equipment. Usually better than described.
Also, the camera bodies are good, and consider some higher end glass. There you cant go wrong. Focus in on a few lenses first. get something serious. Save some money and get a 70-200 in either F2.8 (more expensive and heavier, but worth it,) or the 70-200 F4.

as others have said, stay away from the kits on ebay. you will find most of the stuff useless and low quality. its much better and financially sound to buy things you need from reputable dealers. however, if you are happy with your camera and it isn't restricting your vision for your work, i have to question if you really need a dslr? ofcourse, want and need are often at heads with each other, but i want to say again the skill and the eye of the photographer dictates the quality of the work, not the gear.
nonetheless, the world of slr opens many doors to new types of photography that point and shoot (p&s) cannot offer, such as different type of lenses and processor speed. not to mention the size of the sensor contribute greatly to the final result when the pictures are blown up and in low light conditions.
hope you make the choice that will keep you happy! make a list of things you would need (lens, body, bag, flash) and shop around individually first. do not waste your money on cheap filters and do not be lured in by the ebay kits. often they bait and switch. good luck!

Judging by what the padre has posted, I'm not sure that he's going to be too interested in L glass at the moment...

...That will come later, once the addiction sets in. :lol:

Hey guys, thanks for the posts. I'm more cautious of the kits now, and will keep my options open. Like I said, I just take the hobby seriously and really enjoy it, but am thinking for the time being I'll continue to use my Canon Powershot sx10is. I'm still learning its features even after a while of using it; for instance I shot a night shot but had the lighting a little green off of some ice in the water. I could have avoided that had I used the "flourescent" setting on the AWB. Oh well. It is a wonderful camera, and it seems to do everyting an SLR would do for me, especially with the 20x zoom. I was just thinking SLR to add to it so I could mix it up a bit, but I doubt I'd see much difference in quality. Most of the stuff I blow up to an 8 x 10 or so are nature shots; lakes, flowers, leaves, or impromteu people shots like at our fair, and I can't complain about my trusty cannon. I've enjoyed it so much was thinking a Rebel would be fun to play with too, but I'm not so sure it would necessarily do stuff that my powershot can't already do. Time will tell - thanks though for the feedback!

BTW, the kits just looked like good deals with the telephoto and wide angle lenses to add on, so I could get real close, as I do on my current camera - so the extra lenses is what perked my curiosity.

Thanks!
Paul

Olympus E-620 plus the two kit lenses is a better deal than any of the Canon sets.
Hi gang,

I wanted some advice on whether or not I should buy a second camera.

My situation is this. I'm a guy who takes photography seriously as an amateur, but do some blow-ups, have some things framed and auction off some pictures at charity auctions. I'd like to start getting in competitions if possible. I don't do this for a living; I'm a Catholic priest, and find photography is a great way to unwind and relax. I live in the Twin Cities, near plenty of lakes and there are many great places to shoot all times of the year.

I have a Canon Powershot sx10IS that I really enjoy. It's got the works; a 20x zoom, lots of fancy pre-sets for various situations; I can change the aperture, shutter speed, all that; go from "foilage" to "sunset" to "snow" and get all sorts of fancy things. About the only thing I can't do is hold the shutter open for more than 15 seconds, which I don't really need to do anyway; shooting lightning at 15 seconds is enough. I picked this up on Amazon in February for a great price, and get great, sharp images. I'm quite happy with this camera.

However, I was wondering should I buy an SLR? I was eying packages on Ebay, the Canon 500d and the 450d. They seem similar; I can get a package with lots of toys and lenses for just over a grand on the 500, and about 850 for the 450d. My concern is would this be a frivilous expense for an amaetur? I would keep the other camera for many things; and when I travel, can't see myself packing up all that equipment as it's too cumbersome and I don't really feel comfortable checking it at the airport, though I would bring it on daytrips.

So, basically I can blow a paycheck on a nice new SLR, or just be content with the great camera I do have and rely on that. And if I go that route, should I get the 500 or save a few hundred and get the 450? (And I suppose I can look at Nikon too). Right now I'm leaning toward just having fun with my current camera, and am thinking blowing that kind of dough might be frivilous, but it could be a good investment and I know I'd get a lot of use out of it. And, this is going to make me sound like a dolt, but I notice there are no "presets" really on the SLRs, like for "vivid color"; but I'm assuming you can get that if you set things right to bring out color on leaves, etc.

So, there's a lot here, but I'd appreciate your help. Here's the auctions I'm eying, but they are always on Ebay so will never go away:
Canon EOS T1i Digital Rebel 500D SLR Camera +6 Lens NEW - eBay (item 140338013611 end time Sep-04-09 11:05:10 PDT)

NEW USA CANON EOS Rebel XSi 450D Digital Camera +2 lens - eBay (item 290333871356 end time Aug-22-09 22:07:06 PDT)

Thanks for the help...there's a lot out there on ebay and it is a fun, but pricey hobby.

Regards,
Paul

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello Fellow Minnesotan! Based on what you've written I'd recommend picking up a used Canon Rebel XT (also known as the Canon 350D) you can find them on Craig's List for about $300. It is a great starter DSLR. The only reason I would suggest getting one of the other models you mentioned would be for the larger LCD screen.

You can also goto National Camera and Video and pickup a used DSLR but also try it in the store, however Craig's List prices will beat National Camera any day.

If you are feeling a little more confident about purchasing a camera, look for a used Canon 30D, it is a semi-professional camera with a nice big body that will take a little more abuse than the Rebel lineup.

One last suggestion, take a DSLR class through your local Community Education board, they are typically run by a professional photographer who will take the time to answer your specific questions.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more local info.

The kit(s) is not worth as much as it appears. I can't really call them a ripoff though. Just purposely designed to suck in neophytes to DSLR photography.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Most reactions

Back