Upgrading cameras question

Thank you all for all the comments... I decided to stick with Nikon and upgrading it to Nikon D90 isntead and have found some cheap Nikon lenses hihihi

Yes Im gonna stick to Nikon lenses.. i definately will stick to Nikon :heart:

oh hi all im back .. :sexywink:

finally I ordered Nikon D90 with 18-105mmVR and 18-200mmVR
for my starter camera and have my eyes on the 50mm

do you think I made a good decision on choosing D90?

Last edited:
If you want to shoot professionally, those super telephotos are going to be limited in anything BUT bright outdoor shooting. The D90 is a nice camera and you'll have enough out-of-menu control to not get bogged down and miss a good shot; it's those lenses that are going to handicap you. Get a 50MM F/1.4 (the old one) fast, and perhaps a 105MM F/2.8 macro lens. That should get you set for the time being until you can afford a big boy: the 80-200 F/2.8.

oh hi all im back .. :sexywink:

finally I ordered Nikon D60 with 18-105mmVR and 18-200mmVR
for my starter camera and have my eyes on the 50mm

do you think I made a good decision on choosing D90?
IMO, the 18-200 isn't worth the money for portraiture.

You would do better spending a bit more and getting a Nikkor AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D.

If you want to shoot professionally, those super telephotos are going to be limited in anything BUT bright outdoor shooting. The D90 is a nice camera and you'll have enough out-of-menu control to not get bogged down and miss a good shot; it's those lenses that are going to handicap you. Get a 50MM F/1.4 (the old one) fast, and perhaps a 105MM F/2.8 macro lens. That should get you set for the time being until you can afford a big boy: the 80-200 F/2.8.

ohh yes 50MM is already on my list

IMO, the 18-200 isn't worth the money for portraiture.

You would do better spending a bit more and getting a Nikkor AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D.

ahh ok, will consider that one, i tried to find one but seems none shop selling this 80-200mm lens

Lenses aren't something to skimp on. They are very much a get-what-you-pay-for product. There are a few lenses out there that give a whole lot of bang for your buck (like the EF 50/1.8, Canon's "nifty fifty"), but even those are limited in image quality.

Furthermore, I very much agree with KmH's assessment. If you're going to be doing this professionally, you really ought to have fast glass in your setup to that your options aren't limited (especially considering that you aren't working on a FF35 body and thus have increased DoF in comparison, f/2.8 really is necessary to get shallow DoF). Also, take a good, hard look at your portfolio and cut-out anything that is even remotely sub-par.

1100 for the old school 80-200 is ridiculous. I managed to get mine for 600 bucks and apparently that is a steal. Shop around, and definitely hit up Craigslist.

ahh ok, will consider that one, i tried to find one but seems none shop selling this 80-200mm lens
You're not checking at the right store(s).

This place has the lens in stock and is probably the #1 store for buying camera gear. They have everything you'll need, and unsurpassed customer service.

Nikon | 80-200mm f/2.8 ED AF-D Autofocus Lens with Tripod | 1986

Oh I dont live in US, so buying outside Sweden could cost me more on shipping

Most reactions

New Topics

Back