Upgrading from Kit lens - thoughts and suggestions?

JFPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade from my 18-55 kit lens within the next few months. I have a Nikon D5300 and mostly I'm doing long exposures, low light situations, travel photography and landscapes. Occasionally some street photography. Anyway, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the best lens I should upgrade to. Anything really $1200 or less.

Thanks for your time and suggestions everyone.

A 35mm f/1.8 prime would be nice as well.

The 35 f/1.8 primes are nothing to laugh at. They are only 2/3 stop slower than the real expensive glass. And Tokina 11-20 f/2.8. I have original 11-16 which is body driven AF. It's a very good sharp lens. Tokina's are built like tanks. High quality lenses.

Thanks for the advice everyone. A 35mm 1.8 was what I was starting to look at and seems like a good choice. I'll research all these others as well!

The 35 1.8G is awesome on crop sensors, you'll love it and a learn a lot with it.

For low light and long exposure and With that $1200 budget you might as well get a d600 and 50/1.8 and have several hundred left over.

Be careful going full frame because you might like it too much. Haha.

I would get the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 used.

Used Nikon AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED DX lens - mpb.com

And pickup a afs 60mm macro used.
Used Nikon AF-S 60mm f/2.8G ED lens - mpb.com

Trade in your kit lens to them to save even more money. You now have two outstanding lens to serve all your needs.

Chances of getting a bad copy of the sigma are pretty high in comparison to the high quality Nikon. The micro contrast, color saturation, and sharpness are excellent with both these lens. The 60 gives you a nice street lens, close up lens, and portrait lens. The 17-55 f2.8 has great micro contrast, color saturation, and sharpness. If I could have only two Nikkor's , these would be it.

Last edited:
I TOO was gonna suggest the Nikkor 17-55 as the lens to get for a quality normal zoom for the 5300. Used lenses are IMHO, the best way to go when you're looking for value. Pretty good suggestions from JC above. Buying quality lenses is smart.

I TOO was gonna suggest the Nikkor 17-55 as the lens to get for a quality normal zoom for the 5300. Used lenses are IMHO, the best way to go when you're looking for value. Pretty good suggestions from JC above. Buying quality lenses is smart.
Is that 17-55 Nikkor fast for really good low light situations?

Sigma 18-35 f/1.8
*drop mic*

Most reactions

New Topics

Back