upgrading my camera..

How big do you want to print?
8x12? My XSI at 12.2mp does that and bigger without an issue if using the whole image.

Where more mp will help is when you take a pic and need to crop it and STILL get a good print image.

I currently have 8mp, i would like to be able to print poster size if i want..i like having the option for that anyway. I know more MP doesn't mean better pictures, MP's aren't my main priority in upgrading honestly, my main reason is the LCD preview screen on the back, i know a lot of people don't agree with that being a legitimate upgrade reason but its something that bothers me a lot.

foned: whether the lcd being a legit reason or not for OTHER people doesnt matter. its a legit reason for yourself, and thats what matters. YOU have to use the camera. to be honest, the better lcd of the 50d was actually a selling point for me too (but not the only one obviously) over getting another xsi or 40d when i gave mine to the gf. i had many shots that looked great on the lcd making me think i had the shot only to find out once on the computer that they were bleh. while i still get those shots with the 50d, at least now i know much better so i can re-take the shot if need be (and possible) instead of having to wait until i get it on the computer.

foned: whether the lcd being a legit reason or not for OTHER people doesnt matter. its a legit reason for yourself, and thats what matters. YOU have to use the camera. to be honest, the better lcd of the 50d was actually a selling point for me too (but not the only one obviously) over getting another xsi or 40d when i gave mine to the gf. i had many shots that looked great on the lcd making me think i had the shot only to find out once on the computer that they were bleh. while i still get those shots with the 50d, at least now i know much better so i can re-take the shot if need be (and possible) instead of having to wait until i get it on the computer.

thank you, i agree, im spending the money and using the camera whats important to me is whats important ;]

I've come to the conclusion that the next camera i get will either be the 50d or the t1i, I'm currently reading reviews on both of them for comparison.

If I recall, both have the same Digic 4 processor, the same 15mp sensor, and the same LCD screen.

Here's a good comparison of the 2:

Canon T1i vs Canon 50D | Digital Photography Notes

that made my life so much easier, i neglected google for a side by side comparison and was just reading up on both, thank you!

now i just have to figure out if i want to spend that much on a camera right now or not.. decisions decisions..

maybe i buy the t1i and with the money saved buy some lighting equipment.. crap lol.

Buy the T1i over the XS if it comes down to that choice. I bought the XS and while it was a good start, I quickly gave that to my wife and ordered a T1i, which was much better. Much better LCD and many more features. Plus it has the video feature ( which isn't really my thing and I think you should buy a cam corder if you want video. ) However, I am going on vacation soon and having this camera will save me from having to lug along a camcorder as well. ( plus with a larger sensor this will do better video than most Camcorders similar to how it does better pictures than a point and shoot ) .

I have not used any other cameras, so I couldn't tell you about the other recommendations.

Just a note that if using the LCD to "check" your pics, zoom in if you're checking sharpness. The display can trick you into thinking the picture is sharp - when it's really not.

Pretty much all I use the LCD for is to look at the histogram or exif data.

i really hate that i can't get a good idea of what the picture i just took looks like before its on my computer

I can't help and wonder how film shooters dealt with that problem.

Sorry, your posts make me think you don't need to upgrade at all. You still need to learn the basics, I would think. A good book on exposure will be a lot cheaper than a new camera.

i really hate that i can't get a good idea of what the picture i just took looks like before its on my computer

I can't help and wonder how film shooters dealt with that problem.

Sorry, your posts make me think you don't need to upgrade at all. You still need to learn the basics, I would think. A good book on exposure will be a lot cheaper than a new camera.

i bet film shooters wasted a lot of film and time trying to get shots perfect, and probably missed a lot of awesome shots until they were able to train themselves. anyway, i dont care much what they did, or what their needs were, im worried about my own. I don't really *need* to upgrade, i want too. why not take advantage of a tool like a nice LCD preview if it exists? i'd rather sell my current camera and get an upgrade and train myself with all the other things that come with.

anyway back on subject, i think im just gonna go with the t1i, keep my 50mm, eventually buy another lens or two..

another nice feature of the T1i, it has a sensor so when you eye goes to the viewfinder, it turns the LCD off to help conserve battery life. I am sure over a long period of shooting this may get you some extra minutes out of your battery.

If you are going to be buying a new body, get a xxD series (40D is in your budget). Getting another Rebel would be like taking a step sideways, aka: not much of an upgrade.

If you are going to be buying a new body, get a xxD series (40D is in your budget). Getting another Rebel would be like taking a step sideways, aka: not much of an upgrade.
I agree...if you're going to upgrade, move up to a prosumer model (XXD bodies or 5D/5D Mk II). At least you won't have to buy new memory cards.

my heart tells me to go 50d, my wallet says t1i, some other part wants the 7d but who knows... i guess ill just save up money, try and sell my camera and see how much i can come up with.

Most reactions

Back