Upgrading My Lens Collection!

the urban photo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, so I currently shoot my Canon Rebel T1i with three lenses- an 18-55mm (standard), 35-80mm, and a 100-300mm).

But I want something newer and more versatile. I've been drooling over the Canon EF 70-200mm IS USM telephoto lens for months and I think it would be a great addition to my camera bag.
From what I understand, it is perfect for anything ranging from portraits to weddings. If I'm going to make the jump to a rather expensive lens, is this the one you guys would suggest?

Just hoping for some confirmation or redirection ;)

Which 70-200mm IS lens are you looking at - there are 3 of them and each is slightly different ;)

Forget it - get the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L MII
Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Newer and noticeably better and for a tiny increase in price over what the original version is now sitting at (heck I'm surprised anywhere still has new stock of the original). Don't get my wrong the original was and still is a workhorse of a pro lens and I had one myself - however with the price difference and with teh noticeable improvement at all focal lengths of the MII (esp at the 200mm end) it just makes full sense to go for the MII.

*edit - heck now I look at the the MII is listed as cheaper too - no reason at all not to go for it

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Overread- Thanks for your help, I'm definitely leaning towards the MII. Do you think Amazon would be the best price option?

Hmm I can't comment on the price on Craigslist as I'm not in the US so the second hand price info is something I just don't have. If you can trust the seller and check ebay and see what general prices they are going for and it all seems legit then go for it. Like I said the newer is better, but the original is still a workhorse for many a pro and certainly a very good quality zoom lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back