Upgrading to Godox/Flashpoint AD400 Strobes

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by adamhiram, Nov 30, 2019.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    With basic setups you can get by with trial and error, but still it's easier to use the modeling lights. I keep my modeling lights set to track the power setting, so working in a darkened studio is essential for me to be able to see. I've developed a feel for the lights and modifiers, so I can get pretty close, then flip on the lights and fine tune. You'll be surprised how much easier it is to see the light in real time, especially if you kill the ambient.

I've never been happy with zone focus on studio shots, I'm to anal about eyes. Using the select multi focus on tripod, 50mm, f7.1 and 15 ft away kept enough DOF to get the whole set in focus. Select multi focus on the subject assured me good sharpness on the eyes. If your camera supports it facial tracking isn't a bad idea on little ones, where you're working with a more limited DOF.

2. adamhiram

adamhiram No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Just because I am currently looking into a new set of colored gels, here's a link to a similar thread from @Nwcid from last year. I don't see much of a difference between offerings from Rosco and Lee Filters, but I liked the colors from my last set from Lee that I used with my speedlights (via RogueFlash), so leaning towards those unless someone has a strong recommendation otherwise.

Rosco Photo Lighting Filter Kit (20 sheets)
    Lee Filters Master Location Pack (36 sheets)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. Nwcid

Nwcid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Not a direct answer, but I updated the other post with what I ended up with.

I ended up getting:
    2 of the 7" reflectors, https://www.adorama.com/semr7.html
    2 barn door sets, https://www.adorama.com/fplfbd.html which come with 3 colors and a basic grid
    1 set of gels, https://www.adorama.com/lemlocp.html I did cut mine down fit in the barn door slot and the left over strips fit over a speed light well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JBPhotog

JBPhotog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have both Lee and Rosco and they are high quality gels. FWIW, Lee seems to be more popular in the east and Rosco in the west. There are slight differences between the colour correcting gels between brands so you may want to keep them sorted if gelling more than one light with mixed gel brands.

Of the two kits you mentioned, the Rosco has more neutral density gels but you will have the luxury of 1/10 stop adjustment with the Flashpoint XPLOR 400's so they may not be of much use. Furthermore, you get two sheets of the Colour Correction gels in the Lee kit so gelling two heads is right out of the box simple.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats on the upgrade and great write up.
    One more use for the modelling light is when shooting people with glasses you can easily see if you have a reflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Next: start tethering.

I'm tethering at every opportunity when shooting now. Incredibly useful to see an image at 100% while you are shooting and not relying on the sh*t LCD panel to make big decisions -- especially focus and DOF.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the red highlight clipping turned on. Here I was making sure I wasn't blowing out anything and working on getting even fill.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. JBPhotog

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Now available for pre-order, the Flashpoint XPLOR 400 Extension Flash heads are options one might consider when booming on location. This can help reduce the ballast necessary to keep your stand upright, I have them for my heavier Godox AD600.

https://www.adorama.com/fplfxp400p.html

• Like Like x 2
  9. adamhiram

Photos OK to edit
    Does anyone know if there is a way to tell what power the flash fired at when used in TTL mode? I may be missing something, but as far as I can tell it hides flash power when switched to TTL, which would be a pretty useful thing to be able to see.

10. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    you can see I'm using that in the picture above -- just for the 600. well worth it. I can also put the strobe on a monopod and have an assistant hand hold it that way.

[​IMG]

the guts/battery is hanging on the stand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JBPhotog

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Short answer is no.

Long answer, it's the cameras light sensor that tells the flash when to stop and the flash would have to determine that duration and calculate the actual flash output. Keeping this in mind using TTL can actually get you to a lower output setting that the lowest manual setting, such as 1/256 power.

12. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I like tethering when I'm on tripod, but shooting handheld I'm to clumsy. Have you experienced transfer lag time on? I've heard, but not tried it, that you can remove the camera SD cards to speed up the process.